Any more entitlements?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Hi, I just wondered what entitlements I should be expecting to get if it is only my husband working and not me. Is it just family allowance or is there anything else out there that I would be entitled to? I'm only asking because someone mentioned something like family credits? Not sure if that is the right terminology but anyway, I live in hope that I just haven't claimed something and am due a windfall! ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Before you get your hopes up too much, they only backdate family tax credits back to a maximum of three months, so I presume that other benefits are the same...

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Indeed, family tax credit and working tax credit only get backdated to three months, and jobseekers allowance/other unemployment benefits are difficult to get backdated at all.

I found my local Citizen's Advice Bureau quite useful in working out what I was entitled to at various times as things changed, you might want to give them a ring.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Hurray - and boo to how dumb I am for not having found this out before. But, I am eligible for family tax credits - a welcome £40 a month that I should have been claiming for the last two years. Oh well, better late than never!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Just wanted to add - why on earth does backdating not happen automatically? It's really stupid (in my mind) that I have to attach a seperate note asking specifially for them to backdate it for the last three months. You are asked to fill in dates, etc on the form of when you last worked, etc etc so this is something that should happen automatically - isn't it??

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Tax Credits (Working or Child) are very rarely backdated, and usually only awarded from the date they receive the form that you fill in.

The form takes about 2 weeks to reach you from you making your phone call to request it.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I've been told they will do it for 92 days. Which is great as every little helps. But really if they are prepared to do this then I thin they should do this automatically. Anyway, I am happy to think that I have an extra couple of quid coming in each month. At least, I will do once I fill the form in.