Cutting Corners

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Seeing another thread here (are you the victim of bad builders) got me wondering whether any of you had experienced cutting corners to save money and it not working out in the end. My husband insists on doing all work to the house himself (plumbing, electrics, carpentry, etc) and I can't help getting irritated that I'm unable to make a fuss about what can sometimes be a result that falls short of a professional finish. He does all this to save money but I really do think that it is the finishing touches that matter and that sometimes it'w worth getting the professionals in. Other people's thoughts or am I just being harsh?

london

Sep 23, 2009
London
www.robuild.co.uk
You should buy your husband a beer, if you don't buy him a beer - I will.

He deserves respects, he is just trying to help and doing building works is not easy.

However - do not let him do the plumbing - electrical - gas - structural works. If plaster falls off is OK but if the house is on fire before a gas explosion takes place and the ceiling is on the floor - it is not funny anymore.

Perhaps you should get him more than 1 beer and call a builder while he is passed out.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Ha ha - this made me laugh. You're right, I should be kinder as he's only trying his best. However, it's all the things you tell me not to let him do that he insists he can! I had to wait until he was away for a few days before and then called in an electrician to do some of the stuff he had planned to get his hands on!