Phones 4 U Issue

adam.parr

Sep 14, 2009
Phones 4 U Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening all,

I have a query regarding a phone contract that i purchased from Phones 4 U.co.uk earlier this year. The contract was as below:

Samsung Tocco Phone
100 Free Minutes p/month
Unlimited texts p/month
Free Internet Evenings and Weekends

My problems began when my first bill arrived from Orange stating that the free internet i had been promised for the duration of the contract was infact only valid for 2months. I then proceeded to call Phones4u to discuss this issue. The first customer service advisor that i spoke to stated that she had recently spoken to another consumer who had the same problem as myself, she then transferred me to the accounts manager who said that he would not be able to do anything for me. I then asked to be transferred to his manager because of the situation. He then told me that he would also be able to do nothing regarding my situation because the offer was so good.

It seemed like there had been an advertising error on the Phones4u.co.uk webpage and this particular contract had not advertised the fact the mobile internet on the phone was for 2 months only. I contested this with the Senior customer satisfaction manager who then fobbed me off. I then informed him that i would be speaking to ofcom regarding the situation.

I then quickly called Ofcom who asked whether i had a print screen shot of the deal, which unfortunately i did not think of at the time, she said that this may well damage my chances of seeing this issue resolved.

After speaking to Ofcom i proceeded to call back the Accounts manager, informing him that i had spoken to Ofcom and that i would be willing to accept half price internet for the remainder of the 24 month contract (£2.50 p/month totalling £55) with a £55 cheque sent to my address. He then stated that he would speak to Orange to resolve the issue.

I have just recently checked my phone bill for July and August (the first and second months of paying for mobile internet) to find that it has gone through the roof and i have a £33 data charge for each month, despite not being anywhere near the 500mb monthly limit. On Tuesday i then called Orange customer services to query the cost of my bill, they then informed me that there was no notes regarding an internet bolt on added to my account information and that i would need to talk to Phones4U.

So again i phoned phones4u, explained the situation, they then claimed that i misunderstood the response from the account manager and that they expected me to pay for the other half of my mobile internet bill, and that i should call Orange to resolve this issue (although this wasnt explained at the time). They person also stated that because i hadnt called Phones4U after checking my July bill (because Orange now put their bills on the net i hadn't checked yet)! Instead the advisor which i spoke to stated he would pay me £15 and reduce the length of my contract by 6 months. I then told him that i would consider his offer and call them back.

I am now thinking that i would just like to accept this offer so that i can move on from the situation, however, i still think that P4U should still pay for my data charges, should i be able to claim this back from them??

Thank you for any advice,

Adam

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
It seems to me you were mis-sold an item, on an offer that may have been advertised incorrectly, I woudl talk to your local trading standards office or consumer direct on 08454 040506, and go back to ofcom to explain the situation.

If there is one thing I've learnt in recent months, it is that Samsung are rubbish (phones, laptops and printers that are not fit for purpose), Orange are not much better and Phones 4 U are probably worse than both of the others.

Good luck resolving this issue.

P

Phones 4u

Hi Adam,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I have been looking into your query further with our customer services team and upon listening to the phone calls between yourself and our team, they have confirmed that you agreed that your online order confirmation does not mention 'free internet evenings and weekends'.

However, it is important to us that all our customers are happy with the service they receive from Phones 4u and we want you to be satisfied with the products you purchase from us. As a result, we offered to cancel your current contract and give you a new one with the unlimited internet you required, yet you did not want this due to the handset being offered.

We agreed to your suggestion of 1/2 price internet for the duration of your contract, which was granted through a cheque for £55 which was sent to you. During this phone call, we also explained to you that at this point you would have to speak to Orange directly in order to activate the internet bolt-on.

Recently, we also offered you £90 to cover 6 months of your line rental (therefore reducing your contract re-payment from 24 to 18 months), plus £15 as a gesture of goodwill to help recoup your initial outlay on internet usage.

We feel we have been helpful on this occasion and made every effort to provide you with a satisfactory resolution.

Phones 4u