New Car Purchase Problems

SniperCheeta

Sep 15, 2009
I wonder if you could assist. I excitedly put a £300 deposit down on a new car way back in June but, after three months waiting, I am now told via a phone call from an apologetic dealership that the EPS and Curtain Airbags which came with the car advertised are for some reason no longer a feature on the revised model range, (contrary to the brochure) but can be added for £500! These are features which convinced me to buy the car.

This all seems a bit unfair, as I put a deposit down on the car as advertised, in good faith, etc.

I was thinking of demanding they add the features for free, but if they refuse I am over a barrel - I can’t walk away (as I feel like doing now) because I have already passed over my old car as scrap – I imagine I’d lose this credit of £2,000.

Have you any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
They have entered into a contract to provide a specific model with a specific feature set. The car is now 'not as described' and your rights have been breached. You either need to be returned to the position you were in before or provided with the car you agreed to buy. See the sale of goods link below

SniperCheeta

Sep 15, 2009
Many thanks Tony for your prompt response. I have just re-read the brochure. A wording on the back of the car sales brochure, in small print, says “Colours, specification and equipment may vary without notice”. It is dated Jan 09, before my deposit in June 09. It still seems grossly unfair, given that “six airbags” is a term repeated throughout the brochure as a selling feature, and all six are even pictured in action.