What are my rights?

bugsbunny2000

Sep 16, 2009
Hi i'm new to this forum but was hoping someone could help me please :)

I had my Acer 7720 laptop (brought from Comet) for only a few months before the screen broke (something to do with the VGA card or something) and then within about 6 months the sound started distorting. It was intermittent and would only happen every so often, but gradually got more frequent. The customer service desk at my local comet told me to try a different anti-virus (we had wanted to send it away for repair while still under warranty) but we obliged. Didn't work. 3 months later i took it back (i couldnt be without my laptop as i am at university and rely on it) and the same person told us to try out some external speakers or do a system restore. Didn't work. Took it back again and the same person told us we were now out of warranty (by just a month) and would be better off writing the laptop off. I sold my car to pay for this laptop, £599. I don't expect it to break twice within 7 months!

After contacting head office we were allowed to send it away for repair for free and were shocked to find out that DUST was the cause of all the problems... paid £53... and had to wait 3 weeks (despite being told it was to be done urgently as i relied on it) After a day the sound distortion returned therefore they did not fix it yet still charged us for it! They now want us to send it back to them again. But i'm just fed up with them now.

Trading standards told us under the Sale of goods act 1979 we can demand a refund or replacement. Personally, this laptop has been nothing but trouble and i wouldn't even mind purchasing another laptop from Comet but is this likely to happen? Will they give me a full (or part) refund or store-credit?

Any advice or information would be very helpful. I just can't handle the useless minds at Comet messing me around any more.

Thanks guys
Danni x

I

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I would agree with Trading Standards they have been given ample time to repair it. It is time for a replacement or a refund. Bear in mind that if they give you a replacement it doesn't have to be new and if they give you a refund they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had.

HTH

Tony