sofa didn't get up tricky last 3 stairs

chrissmr

Sep 19, 2009
I recently bought a sofa from Harvey's that unfortunately didn't get past the last three stairs at the top because of the low ceiling. I have had conflicting advice since: The delivery men, who really tried their best I must add, said I could have it returned to the warehouse and lose 20% of my money. I had no choice but to let them take it back and they said speak to Customer Services: well I'm not sure they actually exist. I've tried every day during opening hours (they aren't open at the weekend and close at 5.30!) and have spent too many minutes listening to the message saying 'how important your call is to us'.... and not getting through to anyone. It's difficult when you're at work and waste time getting nowhere. Went back to the store, sullen assistant said they dont' give refunds OR exchanges as per their terms and conditions and said try customer services, they MIGHT give me a refund but doubted they would. Am I really expected to let them keep my money. Some advice would be helpful...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Chrissmr,

I am afraid that from a legal perspective they are correct. However, they do have a duty of care to make sure that you are aware that you have to carefully check that the sofa fits the space and you can get it into the property.

One option might be to have a window taken out or the break the back of the sofa and repaired in situ.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but you may still be able to appeal to their better nature to get a refund.

HTH

Tony

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Hi, we took a window out and it was a fairly painless job. I hope you get the end result you want as I can see how completely frustrating this is. I also bought another sofa (from Sofaworld) and had it broken in two. That also seemed to be farily straightforward. Good luck.

chrissmr

Sep 19, 2009
Tony, thank you for advice - my mother decided last night to take the sofa, now getting through to customer services to rearrange delivery...

Hi Chrissmr,

I am afraid that from a legal perspective they are correct. However, they do have a duty of care to make sure that you are aware that you have to carefully check that the sofa fits the space and you can get it into the property.

One option might be to have a window taken out or the break the back of the sofa and repaired in situ.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but you may still be able to appeal to their better nature to get a refund.

HTH

Tony