what are my rights

rcpilot

Sep 20, 2009
Hi all
I bought a sat nav system from an online store, after fitting it in my vehicle it did not perform as I thought it should, the manufacture ( not the place I bought it from ) had a website with technical help, so I phoned them up it took aprox 4 days to get to speak to the right person. I told him what was wrong and he said that it definately was faulty, I then got back in touch with the retailer and told them what the manufacture had said, at this point I could have told the retailer that I was returning the goods under the distance selling regulations as it was faulty and demand a full refund including postage back to them but I did not as I wanted the sat nav system. The retailer then said that I could return it back to them and they would send it back to the manufacturer or I could send it straight back to the manufacturer myself as it would save time, this I did.
After a day or 2 I phoned the manufacturer and they said that the sat nav indeed had 2 faults ( obviously manufacturing ) and they would send out a replacement, a day or 2 later the replacement arrived. I phoned the manufacturer and said that the guy that I had originally talked too promised that if the item was faulty they would refund the postage back to them, after proof of postage the manufacture refused to refund the postage, I then phoned the retailer and told them what had happened and asked them to refund the postage they refused. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AND WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE POSTAGE.

Thanks Ken:mad::(

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Ken,

If you had sent it to the retailer it would be their responsibility to pay costs. As you sent it yourself to the manufacturer under the terms of the warranty then it is your responsibility to pay postage costs, although this does depend upon the terms.

So your sending it direct saved time but also saved the retailer money and hassle.

Sorry this is not the answer you want

Tony