Cheap Newspapers

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Though I don't buy newspapers anymore back in my student years I was different, and for varying reasons I won't go into spare newspaper is a useful thing to have when enjoying the student lifestyle.

I went to two different universities and have friends at others and a common promotion in start of the year (i.e. now) student magazines and so on were vouchers for free or cheap newspapers. Since students read broadsheets, which are considerably more expensive, this can effect a saving of up to a pint AND a take-away per week. :)

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
The papers at my uni were usually offered most of the papers for 10p to 20p a day, and they were constantly given away freebies with them. I presume that they wanted to make you an ardent reader for when you graduated.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I think newspapers are cheap these days. My god, think of how much content there is now - all those different sections and more often than not a film thrown in for free too. Wonderful!

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I'm not so sure. When I look through the average sunday paper the free CD or DVD is cool but there's a lot of content which is basically advertising wrapped up as articles, reviews and so on.

Still, each to their own.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I've worked out that two weeks worth of daily newspapers (the national paper that I subscribe too) and the free weekly local paper, along with the take away menu's and fliers from the local supermarkets and other bits of paper pushed through the door - FILL my recycling box!

The only thing I keep are the free CD's or DVD's, and the supplments to celebrate special occasions.

Now if only I could save enough paper to fill a low loader once or twice a year and earn my £100 for recycling it.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Oh now I see!! Gosh you did that promptly! Thanks. Yes, I have on many an occasion now you mention it!

JamieLewis

Nov 22, 2011
I'm more of an online newspaper girl myself, most of them you can read for free or for a small subscription charge.