Discontinued Toner Cartridge

LaserPrinter

Sep 20, 2009
I have owned and used my laser printer for several years and it works perfectly.

The manufacturer has now stopped making the toner cartridges for it so it is effectively obsolete and useless.

The retailer who sold me the machine is no longer in business.

I have written to the manufacturer asking that they supply a replacement machine and I have indicated that I am prepared to contribute to the cost of replacement.

The reply I have received advises that under the Sale of Goods Act as manufacturer they are not liable for sale and that I must take issue with the seller (which I cannot now do). Also that as they do not sell to the general public they are unable supply me directly with a replacement.

Do I have a legitimate grievance and if so what can I do to further my request for a replacement printer?

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Have you looked for other manufacturers of the toner cartridge? I know when I had a similar problem looking for a specific type of battery that was no longer manufactured here in the UK I found it abroad.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

There is no legal requirement to provide consumables for a given period of time unless there is a specific contractual obligation to do so.

As BigTom says others may make them, sell refurbished ones or do refills

Tony

Marlyn Keir

Oct 1, 2009
Epson discontinues printers all the time, however they still continue to manufacture cartridges. You should have no issue finding either of those cartridges in the original epson Brand or in a compatible cartridge at any store that sells ink.