Intrinsic value of TV

Oobydoobywapwap

Sep 24, 2009
I hope someone here can advise.

We purchased a Technika TV for £389 from Tesco's in April 2008.

At the end of August 2009 it started malfunctioning, the picture and sound would go, split into quarters or distort making it unwatchable. I swapped Scart Leads, tried the TV with Freeview, Terrestial and SKY, and tried a different TV in the same set up. All of these actions pointed to a fault with the Technika TV.

I called Tesco, even though the one year warranty had expired on the recommendation of a trainee solicitor friend, and was asked to complete a form and send in proof of purchase. I did this and to their credit Tesco have responded within a week with an offer of £193.00 for the 'intrinsic value' of the TV without any engineers reports or inspections.

However the same TV retails at Tesco now for £250 which means that if we replace it we stand to be forking out an unexpected £57 which we can ill afford at the moment. I'm also a bit hesitant to do this now as I don't think I can trust this brand to last.

Isn't there a case for durability here? If I pay £389 for a TV I would expect it to last at least 3 years? My last TV lasted well over 8 and as soon as it stopped working I was quite happy to pay to replace it.

I suspect Tesco have sent the cheque so I'll cash it and go away but I'd like the advice of the members of the forum before I put myself out of pocket.

Thanks

Paul

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Paul,

When a retailer offers a refund they are allowed to subtract an amount for the usage you have had. Is £57 reasonable?

In your letter to Tesco, did you ask for a refund as an approprate remedy or a replacement?

HTH

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Well I guess they decided for you. They are not obliged to offer you a brand new replacement, a reconditioned TV of the same age is all they would have to offer. If they don't have this they can offer a refund, deducting an amount for usage. In your case this is £57. Is the amount of money thay have offered enough to buy a secondhand one of the same age on ebay?

Tony

Essell

Oct 26, 2009
I am having a similar problem with Tesco.

I paid £699 for a television 22 months ago. The TV has now developed a fault - I can no longer receive digital channels only analogue, so when the switchover happens in November my TV will be useless!

Tesco have now offered me £280 for the 'intrinsic value' of the TV. I have written back to them as there is no way I can replace my TV with one of similar specifiation for that sum. I have specifically requested a replacement, but they have refused to offer any more than the £280.

I think a drop of £420 in the value of the tv is unreasonable and unacceptable.

I'm not asking them for a cheque for £699 - all I want is a replacement tv of the same or equivalent specification.

I would like to pursue this further, but I really don't know what to do next.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum. Remember that they are allowed to deduct an amount for the usage you have have had. This is negotiable and ultiamately if you are not happy with the amount you can start a small claim - see links below.

However, if I were you and the only fault is with the digital tuner I would be tempted to take the money and either try to get it fixed by a local tv repair person or simply use an external freeview box. This would save a lot of hassle.

I hope this helps,

Tony