Tax Disc and Postal Strike

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I've just been pulled over for not having an up-to-date tax disc. I know I know - I have only myself to blame. There was a lull of a couple of days before I realised it had run out and then I did it online. However, this was a couple of weeks ago and I still hadn't received the disc in the post but was driving around anyway. Got pulled over yesterday by a policeman who said he was not fining me on the spot but was notifying the DVLA. Does anybody out there know whether they will automatically fine me? Sod's law isn't it but it arrived in the post today!!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Quite possibly!

The DVLA do fine people £80 if they are informed that a valid tax disk is not displayed and the car is being used, because it needs to be taxed or declared as SORN.

Also the DVLA do monthly computer based checks and if you've not renewed your tax disk or declared your car, the fine is automatically issued.

I hope you are not fined, but it is likely that you will be.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Oh. Thanks for the info. And that's on top of a £185 fine for getting caught in a box junction when the light turned red. I have seen the photographic proof and it was literally just one foot of the car that was left in the junction. And I was only there (or I should say my husband as it was him driving) for about 20 seconds. But, we warned everyone - that's enough!

our7inches

Jul 23, 2009
What happened in the end?

We just kind of has a similar situation about having paid road tax but not being able to display the disc (though we've sorted it now) ... but I thought that the police can quickly check on a computer database if a car had or had not paid tax (through the registration). Surely if you bought it before the end date and its taken 2 weeks to arrive then you could fight the fine... after all you had actually paid.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I know that the police do have the technology to check information such as, insurance, tax, wanted? etc. But the law is about 'displaying' valid tax.

I guess at some point in the past/future there will be a case where a police person issue's a ticket, when they can check that the tax has been paid for, but its not displayed, and the defendant goes to court to challenge it.

Usually in relation to motoring offences, the courts impose higher fines and harsher penalities.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
So far I haven't heard anything from the DVLA at all so I am hoping that I am in the clear. But maybe the fine is in a depot somewhere waiting for a postman to deliver it. On the whole I am having a terrible time with fines. To date, (and these are just the ones I can remember):

1. Possible DVLA fine for non show of tax disc (delayed in the post).
2. Parking fine from warden because my daughter locked herself in toilet in local gym and by the time I got her out my time was running over.
3. This isn't a fine but I thought I would add it in - had to smash window after I locked my children in the car - I think it was around £200.
4. I have had a fine for having my wheel caught in a box junction.

Any my latest - coming back into London yesterday I was going through lights, behind quite a long lorry - lights were amber when I started going through but I had to pull to one side to let a police car by. By that time the lights had gone to red and I was stuck in the middle of the junction with lots of people beeping at me. Does this mean I am going to get yet another fine? With all the money I have had to pay out recently I could have gone on holiday somewhere for a week! What do you all think - is stopping for a police car a good enough excuse to get me off or not?