I am so annoyed at myself ....

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have just gone back over old emails and found my terms of business for an agency I hired an au-pair through. The au-pair was terrible and lasted three weeks (including two week notice period). The agency made it sound as though they were doing me a huge favour when they said they were prepared to find a replacement free of charge. By this time I had really decided that I didn't one anway.

I wish I wish I wish I had read the terms of business as it's only now (too late) that I realise I could have had a 75% refund. So, the moral of my story is go back and read through all your bits of small print. I think I'm the sort of person who always assumes that trying to get a refund etc is going to be too much hard work and so I tend to just write things off as a loss.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I suffer from similar disorganisation/apathy sometimes. You're dead right, often the T&Cs are better than you expect and it turns out you're more than entitled.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Yes, far too late. They politely laughed me off the phone when I rang them. It was over £500 which to me is a huge amount of money. I'm still kicking myself and won't stop for a while.