Christmas money-saving

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I have all the Christmas catalogues appearing now at my house! Wondering whether we can share some tips on saving money at Christmas? :D It is so easy to be tempted by all the glitter and sparkle of it all!

My tips are:

1. Spread the cost of Christmas by buying presents early. I already have two presents for family which I bought when I was on my holidays last month.
2. Set yourself an overall Christmas budget.
3. Get wrapping paper, tags etc from the market.
4. Shop for presents at auction - real auctions or ebay. You will be able to get unusual gifts and usually cheaper.
5. Or buy your gifts last minute on the high street (after the retailers have knocked their prices down.)
6. Buy a case of wine (and wine gift bags) and use as gifts for friends, colleagues, parties, when visiting over the Christmas period etc
7. Make your own Christmas cakes and biscuits as gifts.
8. Write your Christmas cards early and work who you will be seeing as if you can give them personally you may save quite a lot on postage.
9. Think about sending ecards instead.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Wow, is it Xmas eve already : ) Good idea for a thread though let's see what we can add to it.

10. Buy through a cash back site such as Quidco.
11. Sell unwanted gear on Ebay to help pay for Christmas.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
So you have never had a mouse pie, lovely with a chunk of Stilton.

Tony

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
12. Buy your Christmas cards, crackers and wrapping paper for next year in the January sales - I know there's never much money after christmas but you can get some real bargains.
14. Look round for referral offers, sky are offering £50 of M&S vouchers n with the big switchover coming up it's worth asking round your friends and neighbours.
15. If you work with a few women - consider taking up selling Avon for a couple of months, its easy if you can distribute catalogues and deliver goods while you're at work and everyone is buying for Christmas.
16. If you have a big family consider a present amnesty with brothers and sisters and just buy for the kids - they might be just as grateful for the suggestion.
17. Tell the kids you're having a traditional Christmas, throw a yoyo, a (small) selection box, a handful of nuts and a few tangarines in a pillow case and get all excited as they open it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
18. Secret Santa - not as extreme as a complete amnesty. Basically, a price limit is set, say £20, and each member of the family only has to buy one present for one person or it can be a lucky dip.

BTW I have agreed to an amnesty in the past but was caught out as it meant nothing big rather than nothing at all. Not sure my kids would be happy with a traditional Christmas lol - see 17 above.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Oooooo Xmas already!! :eek:

I have intentions of buying gifts through the year but never get there. Because my kids are still young I try and buy £1 items and wrap them up (individually :D) to help fill out their stocking. My 5 year old loves having lots of little things to unwrap.

I do the tin of home-made biscuits or wine for friends too.

Usually family are all in the same boat ans so we wait until the January sales to buy them- perhaps get a few small things for nieces and nephews for Xmas Day itself.

I wonder how good the sales will be in January with the present situation?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Spread the cost of Christmas

Do Not Groan!
I am bumping this thread to remind y'all, and myself, to spare a teensy thought for the dreaded season of excess, throughout the year and pick up the odd pressie bargain hear and there.
Smellies will last for eight months if you see any nice BOGOFs!
I've just come back from a craft fair and have a few bargains to hide in the back of the wardrobe!! Do me a favour and remind me in December!!!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Bumping again to remind you pennywise folks that homemade gifts are often very appreciated and now is the time to Google recipes for jams, compotes and pickles.
I have heard that Rumptof is delicious although I haven't tried it, but it's one of those make ahead things - as is the Elderflower cordial I will make this week - and fruit vodka, gin or brandy (so easy!!!!, but pretty). Never throw away a screw top bottle that is vaguely attractive is my motto!!!
Along with some homemade chocolate truffles and biccies, a made-it-yourself hamper is actually fun to put together - it is - honest - believe me!!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I'm going to make my first batch of marmalade this year but I'm waiting for the blood red oranges to come out. Where are they ...? Shocked to admit it but I have already bought two of my children their Christmas present or maybe birthday as that comes first ... But great tips Georginazn - all good stuff and I'm going to get cracking ...

DavidBlack

May 22, 2015
"18. Secret Santa - not as extreme as a complete amnesty. Basically, a price limit is set, say £20, and each member of the family only has to buy one present for one person or it can be a lucky dip."

I've been doing this for a while now. ahahah :eek: