Where do I stand legally?

tarquin

Oct 3, 2009
Hello, I today rashly agreed to buy a used car from a dealer, paid a £20 deposit and said I would pick up the car and pay the rest in a weeks time. I have now changed my mind (or rather my wife has changed it for me).

Can I just cancel the sale or am I legally obliged to go through with it? Seeing as I haven't paid for the car in full and am not in possession of it, am I breaking the law if I inform the dealer I no longer want the car?

I haven't signed anything and I'm not worried about the deposit, but just no longer want to finish the purchase. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Did you sign anything? If you did sign something then I think it's legally binding and you will lose your deposit and, I think I'm right, could be chased for the remainder of the money. Anybody else out there have a clearer idea then me - I'm a bit foggy on this.

tarquin

Oct 3, 2009
I didn't actually sign anything and I'm happy for them to keep the deposit and as I said I am not in possession of the car. Can they still chase me for the money even if I don't take the car?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
In theory they chase you for the money, but it is unlikely. It is less hassle to just sell it to someone else