Christmas

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I'm a family of five (three small children) and I'm just wondering how much people expect to spend over Christmas? How much (or little) can I get away with? Any good money saving tips would be very much welcomed as I start trying to remember where I put the stockings from last year and giving them a dust down.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
As of this Christmas I will have 16 nephews, neices and second cousins, and if you include the children in my aunties side of the family (as I see them once a week) its 21.

That means the adults now only get cards, and the amount the children get has been reduced significantly - in the days of 1 nephew and 1 neice I spent about £100 each on them, not its more like £10 each.

I'm dreading future Christmases, as there are still four adult children without children (including me as the oldest) ... maybe I should buy TVs for the adults, to give them something to do in the evening :)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Ha ha - your television idea is a good one! I'm glad you're terrified too - we can share the burden. I've just told my partner he's not getting a present and not to get me one either. How sad is that? I just honestly don't think my finances can cope with a Christmas as soon as December this year!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've already phoned my brothers and parents and suggested banding together to buy our grandmothers digital photo frames (which I can easily keep up to date with new pics by taking my laptop with me when I visit).

My brother has his first child due next month, which means that we'll only buy something for the baby, and maybe a very small token gift for my brother and his partner. That's the way we work it, and it was the same last year for my wife and I where our son received a lot more than us.

We don't buy anything for friends, although last year I did stretch to buying my boss a nice bottle of wine as a thank you for his support over the year.

You'll actually feel good if you don't overspend.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I'm a family of five (three small children) and I'm just wondering how much people expect to spend over Christmas? How much (or little) can I get away with? Any good money saving tips would be very much welcomed as I start trying to remember where I put the stockings from last year and giving them a dust down.
Is it Christmas Eve already? I just can't start thinking about Christmas yet...:mad:

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I did consider banning anyone that mentioned Christmas before December Tony, but felt you may feel it was abuse of my moderation powers.......

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It probably wouldn't be fair to do that, I'll just try to filter them out.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
And bah humbug to you too! Ok ok - I promise I'll try and keep it purely autumnal until December!