second hand car rights

ntg06

Oct 5, 2009
Hi,
I purchased a diesel pickup van from a dealer 10 weeks ago. It cost £4000, probably about £500 under book value. This weekend the engine has blown up.
I contacted the, and he said he wouldn't do a thing. He also said that if I looked at my receipt it said "purchased for restoration", which it did.
I accept that I hadn't noticed this clause, and it certainly wasn't made clear tome when purchased.
I purchased the van for immediate use, and the dealer even put a new MOT on it. Also, why would I pay almost book value for something that needed "restoration".
Do I have any right to claim the repairs back from the dealer (estimated at £3000!).

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Absolutely, putting "purchased for restoration" on the receipt is underhand, especially if it was not described like this. Your rights are affected by the amount paid, so the fact that you paid nearly list price helps your case. However, it also depends on the age and condition of the vehicle i.e. a van with 300,000 miles and 40 years old on the clock would be different to a newish one with low mileage.

Ultimately it would be for a judge to decide, but for that amount you can use the Small Claims process - see below.

You need to give him a change to repair the van before going down this route though, so a formal letter is required. Trading Standards may give him a call on your behalf if he doesn't respond and if they think you have a good case will help you with the small claim paperwork

Tony