Problem with a camera - advice needed

Phil Bennett

Oct 5, 2009
Guys

I bought a new Canon 5DMII camera in April this year for £2100, I notice it wasnt focusing correctly so I returned it to Canon via the retailer. I received it back re-calibrated, but now the sound doesnt work at all with the video function.

Am I within my rights to ask for a replacement / money back or do I have to let them send it off to Canon again and get it repaired.

I would rather have a replacement, than my money back to be honest.

Also last question sorry, if they get shirty and say it has to go back, is there a consumer right I can quote, to insist I get a replacement?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Phil,

Nice camera, yes you need to give the "retailer" a reasonable opportunity to repair an item. Reasonable is not defined, but I would say it is more than once. If you cannot be without the camera you can request a loan, but your being without the camera would need to cause significant inconvenience e.g. you need it for a holiday or wedding etc.

If they do give you a replacement they only have to provide a like-for-like i.e. not a new one and if they give you a refund they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had.

The relevant legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SOGA) see below. Remember your contract is with the retailer not Cannon.

HTH

Tony