Hotpoint oven broken just outside 1yr warranty

weekatiepea

Oct 5, 2009
Hi, can anyone help ... I bought a hotpoint electric oven last August and last September it started making funny noises so a hotpoint engineer came out and fixed it under warranty. Now it has started to overheat and burn things but hotpoint want to charge me £100 to send an engineer out or £16.99 a month for 10 months for another years warranty.

What should I do ... take it back to where I bought it (b and q), get a local engineer in to fix it or go with hotpoint.

What are my rights here under the sale of goods act?

Thanks.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Yes, your contract is with B&Q not Hotpoint, so you need to take your complaint to them. They will probably say tough luck it is out of warranty, but don't listen and stand firm:

It?s NOT the manufacturer?s responsibility | Consumer Information

They may ask you to prove that it the fault not been cause by abuse, so you may need to pay for an engineer's report. They will pay for this if it is found to be defective.

Tony

weekatiepea

Oct 5, 2009
Thank you for the advice Tony - I have phoned B and Q and guess what they said ... "tough luck it is out of warranty" - I stood firm though and am going to speak with the manager tomorrow.

I had booked a hotpoint engineer to come out and look at it at some crazy cost so I phoned and cancelled that and the woman was very rude when I explained I didn't want to pay for their engineer as I was taking the matter up with B and Q - she said that BandQ can't do anything as it is out of warranty!

I may just have a fight on my hands!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Remember that the staff often have little training and don't necessarily understand the law or your statutory rights. I would expect the manager to have some training and you should get a better response. Let us know how you get on.

weekatiepea

Oct 5, 2009
Hi Tony

Thanks for your help - the update on this is that my oven still isn't fixed but the manager at the b and q store where I bought the oven has agreed to pay for hotpoint to come and repair it. I am just waiting for a letter to confirm this and then I can book a hotpoint engineer. :)

Kate