Direct Debits - but utilities have just increased amount

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Are they allowed to do this? I normally pay a monthly direct debit for both gas and electricity and all of a sudden, without any warning, this amount has trebled and been taken out of my account. Don't they have to let me know? Is this the annual balancing out or have they just decided from now on they're going to take a huge sum from each month and enjoy the interest in their bank accounts? Can I get them to give it back?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
If you're not happy, ask for the money back under the Direct Debit guarantee. Your bank will return it and leave it to you and the company to sort out.

Personally, I pay for my bills as they come in. I know it's harder to budget like that, but I find utility companies always over-estimate the amount you need to pay each month, leaving you hundreds of pounds in "credit". I would prefer to keep the money in my account.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks Chutzpah. Maybe you're right - I should think about paying my bills as they come in. That's what always used to happen isn't it. Just frightened at my own lack of self-discipline and what would then happen as I was hit with a large bill.

deq8345

Apr 29, 2010
Hi i had thishappen to me, so I changed my Direct debits to Standing orders, they didn't like it at first but i did it anyway, you may lose a small discount if not paying by DD, but for me it was worth it to control my "known" outgoings...you should have a good idea though of what your yearly gas and elec is for the year and divide by 12 this should give you your monthly Standing order amount.

Hope this helps