faulty laptop

chickapea

Oct 13, 2009
:(Hope this is in the right place as am new to this forum!
Bought a laptop in march last year,it came with a three year warranty, worked fine untill about three months ago when it developed a line down the screen, was overheating and cutting out and the keyboard lost its sensitivity. sent it for repair and they replaced the screen and cleaned out the fan but didn't mend the keyboard so it had to go back again. when it was returned they had reset it to the factory settings and now when I switch it on all I get is lines down the screen and it cuts out, or it will work for five minutes and then goes to a blue error screen and just stays on that screen. I have phoned the company and they said I have to send it away again. This will be the third time in four weeks it has been sent and I don't think this is acceptable as the machine is only 18 months old. Am I entitled to ask for a replacement as the laptop obviously has faults?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Chickpea, it sounds like you have given them reasonable opportunity to repair the laptop. If it doesn't work this time I would ask for a replacement or a refund. Remember that they only have to give you a like-for-like replacement and they can deduct an amount from the refund to take into account the usage you have had.

Tony

chickapea

Oct 13, 2009
I mentioned a replacement to them the last time I phoned and they said its at their discretion, and usually only after a laptop has been sent in three time for repair of the same fault! Where do I stand if they just say no?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The law doesn't say how many times, but is not once and probably more than twice.

If a repair is impossible or unfeasible, you must then be offered a replacement. Due to the emphasis on proportionality in this legislation, you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back and you should be aware that any refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them. If you do not want the seller to repair or replace, or they have told you they are unable to, you can then request they reduce the purchase price to an appropriate amount, although this does not affect your ability to take return the item if something else goes wrong
Returning Faulty Goods | Consumer Information

You are better off coming to an amicable arrangement. If the repair causes significant inconvenience you can request a loan, but you need a good case.

Tony