brand new built in oven faulty. Supplier not interested

nat31

Oct 14, 2009
We purchased a built in cooker from a local electrical shop back in July of this year. This was fitted into our new kitchen soon after, but was only used for the first time last week (as we have only just moved into the house due to renovation). Upon turning the cooker on for the first time, after a while the cookers fan made a very loud noise so we turned it off immediately not knowing what it was. The next day we contacted the company we purchased it from and they informed us that becuase the oven had been fitted it was not their responsability and that we should contact the manufacturer. Reluctantly we did this and an engineer came a day later. As my partner and I were at work my partners father met the engineer at our house. The engineer had a look at the oven and told my partners father it needs new parts! Once my partners father had told us this we were, to be honest very shocked. How can a brand new oven need new parts!

Obviously we weren't happy with this news, so the following day my partner took the oven back to where we bought it from, who were extremely unhelpful and basically said that the faulty oven we had purchased from them was not their problem, and that a brand new oven needing parts makes it a newer oven anyway so what was our problem!?!...

After my partner, and the store 'assistant' exchanged some very heated words, the 'assistant' went away and came back a moment later to say that he had spoken to the owner of the company and told us that they would arrange with the manufacturers to exchange our oven. He told us to take our oven home with us, took my partners mobile number and said someone would contact him to arrange the delivery of the new oven / collection of the faulty one this week.

It is now Wednesday and my partner has yet to receive a call...what should we do?

Many thanks
Natalie

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is always shocking when a shop completely ignore a consumer's statutory rights and I would make sure that you report this to Trading Standards as they may want to pay them a visit.

Have you phoned the company to find out what is going on? Are you concerned that they will not replace it?

Tony

jossman

Oct 12, 2009
York
On a positive note, I bought and intalled a Buamatic double oven, after a couple of weeks the main oven bulb blew we contacted them and they sent us free of charge four spare bulbs, two for each oven and a spare glass cover for each of the lamp holders. In the package was a hand written note asking us to get in contact immdediately if their wa any further problems, that was 9 years ago and I still haven't used the remaining spare bulbs and they have won me as a life long customer.:)

nat31

Oct 14, 2009
No I haven't been in contact with the supplier, I have contacted the Manufacturer though and I am hopeful that they are looking into it. I am convinced that the supplier will not replace it...they are more than useless!!!!! My Partners going into the shop AGAIN today and if he doesn't get anywhere he will threaten Trading Standards...see if that does any good. They are a small local business, you'd have thought they would want to keep there customers happy as the majority of these small businesses rely on word of mouth!