home shopping - unfair late/non payment fee

a1Anarky

Oct 22, 2009
I currently have an account with a home shopping catalogue which requires minimum payment every 4 weeks. Recently, due to my statement date and when my salary gets paid, I knew that I would not have the funds for the following months statement. So in order to ensure I didn't fall into arrears I made two payments for the minimum amount. Then to my dismay they applied a charge for non payment and requested a double payment the next month for 'arrears', despite me having paid more than I should have at this point of the 52 week term. After speaking to customer services they state the consumer credit act prevents me from paying ahead of schedule. Is this true and are the charges legally justifiable?
Any help or suggestions about this blatantly unfair practice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Alan

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is very difficult to comment without seeing all the paperwork. I think the best thing to do would be to visit your local Trading Standards Office - hopefully you will have one with public access. Or you could go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Apologies I can't be more help, but do let us know what they say

Tony