Ipod Repair - http://www.cheapappleipodrepairs.webs.com/

wheresmyipod

Oct 22, 2009
All,

Thanks for the helpful information provided about another company that does cheap ipod repairs which is posted in a separate thread on this forum.

On the same topic of cheap apple ipod repair, can I ask if anyone has had negative experiences of the following company, Mediatron, based in Richmond?

They advertise their services via their own website and on free internet advertising sites:-

cheapappleipodrepairs.webs.com

inetgiant.co.uk/AdDetails/1486175

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
No, but given the number of requests we are getting about ipods and iphones it is probably time for us to write a consumer guide.

Tony

wheresmyipod

Oct 22, 2009
Yes, it's frustrating to find out that those cowboys that used to be prevalent in the building trades seem to have moved into the technology arena.

This includes all the usual hallmarks, such as responding to requests for quotes extremely swiftly but then not subsequently responding to a single email asking when they will actually finish the job...

I'd expect the following from a plumber but find it strange in an AV repair environment

'just waiting for a spare part' (none in stock, apparently...)
'wont be long now' (three times over the course of a month)
'on another job now' (! for a month?!)

wheresmyipod

Oct 22, 2009
No, but given the number of requests we are getting about ipods and iphones it is probably time for us to write a consumer guide.

Tony
For those who are struggling with cowboy companies out there who come up with trivial excuses why they cannot fix and return an ipod in less than a month, here is some info from Consumer Direct on this topic

"Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982), any service provided by a trader to a consumer should undertaken using reasonable care and skill, and completed within a reasonable length of time if this has not been fixed beforehand. Where a price has been agreed for a service the trader should not charge above this price; if this was not fixed in advance a trader may charge only a reasonable price for the service.

If you feel that the trader has not adhered to all of these aspects, you may be able to suggest that the trader is in breach of contract and pursue a suitable remedy. In your case, If no time-frame was agreed, you would still be able to argue that the trader is in breach of contract for taking longer than a reasonable time in which to provide the service. Generally, it is considered reasonable that you allow the trader an opportunity to rectify the situation at no additional cost to you. You could offer the trader a reasonable deadline in which to complete the service, and warn that if this is not done you will have no choice but to request that the ipod and cheque are returned so that you can seek this service elsewhere.

In the first instance you should write a formal letter of complaint to the trader in question, giving a full outline of the events to date and the remedy you are seeking. You should state that you are making ‘time of the essence’ and give the trader a time limit within which you expect a written response confirming this, such as seven working days. It is advisable to obtain proof of postage for any letter you send and retain copies for your records. The disadvantage of email is that it is not generally possible to prove that your email has been received unless you obtain a response."

wheresmyipod

Oct 22, 2009
The traders attitude to being set a deadline for the return of the item or further action will be taken, as recommended by consumer direct is 'Good, take action, I don't care' .

Presumably this is because their company no longer actually exists - I pulled a report on the Checksure site which says the non-limited company Mediatron is dissolved/struck off.

His website references the company that no longer actually trades.

My transaction took place wholly outside of ebay, based on his internet advertisement and company website.

However, ebay users that left negative feedback about the trader on ebay which I discovered during my dispute were kind enough to confirm that it is the same person and that they were forced to report him to Ebay admin for refusing to give refunds when they did not receive the Ipods they purchased or received a fake ipod instead.

wheresmyipod

Oct 22, 2009
You may be able to do a Paypal chargeback if you paid that way or possible a visa chargeback:
Thanks,that's probably what the ebay buyers did for their historic ebay purchases where they informed me that they didn't receive the goods or didn't receive the correct ones from him.

But my transaction was entirely unrelated to ebay - the trader gave a company name on his website (that I know now does not exist as it's been dissolved or struck off) but asks customers to pay him by cheque in his own personal name.

Obviously, at that time I sent my gadget away for repair, I was unaware that the company name he gave was entirely obsolete and that he has an inactive account on Ebay, perhaps following complaints from some ebay users that they were not refunded when sent fake goods or no goods were received.

Therefore Paypal or debitcard/credit card chargeback is not possible in this circumstance but thanks for the suggestion.

In future, I'll be more careful with transactions I make to do them via paypal or cards and perhaps stick with limited companies where its easy to identify on the companies house database as to whether they are currently trading.

For sole trader companies, its much harder to find free information on their status in the public domain (compared with limited companies) because of the minimal regulatory requirements that such a company structure allows.

David Millbank, 38 Broughton Avenue, Richmond, Surrey, TW10 7UQ.

Chavbuster

Nov 10, 2009
Rather than throwing good money after bad with legal action, you should check a trading address for existing CCJs on the following website, trustonline.org.uk, which operates the Registry of Judgments, Orders and Fines for England and Wales on behalf of the Ministry of Justice.

When I've encountered rogue traders operating at a residential address and used that site to verify their standing, I've often found a handful of unsatisfied CCJs of a value that a corrupt African country would be proud of.

No sense in taking action if there's a history of non-cooperation - a self-employed person can't have an attachment of earnings made against them to enforce a CCJ anyhow.

Best thing to do with a broken Ipod is to let Apple deal with it otherwise the warranty is invalidated otherwise you could just end up sending it to anyone of the flybynight cowboy repair companies on ebay and the web.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Chavbuster,

Thanks for the great tip. It is a shame that service is not free as it would be really useful for consumers. It should be about £2.

Tony