Kettle

goldiepupp

Oct 24, 2009
Hi, I need help.

I bought a Tefal One Cup Kettle on 20/11/08, so 11 months ago. I still have my receipt so no problem about proof of when and where purchased. Overall I'm really happy with my product and don't want anything else however its started to leak.
Today I went back to the shop and spoke to the sales assistant and explained the problem. I am not after a refund. I don't want any other kettle than this one, I love it and it is really convenient for me. I want to have this kettle. I don't think a repair is possible cause can someone really be left without a kettle for weeks while this is repaired? So I simply wanted to get it replaced, they do still make the same ones so its not a problem for the shop to replace it.
However the woman at the shop said that she wouldn't replace it yet and gave me a new nozzle, she said that if that doesn't fix it then they would replace it. Thats fine and I don't have a problem with that if it fixes it, although I'm not holding out much hope.
However my problem is with the policy the shop has over guarentees on replacement items. The sales assitant said that if they replace the item, even though it would be a new item I would not get a 12 month guarentee, only the remaining month of my exsisting one. But this means if they do replace this kettle and after 2 months the items breaks, has a fault etc the 12 month guarentee would of expired even though the replacement item would only be 2 months old. The thing is if I was to have a refund and then buy the item again from the same shop or even go to a different shop I would then receive a new product with a 12 month guarentee.
This whole situation seems really complicated and I'm a bit confused over what my rights are.
Firstly with the exsisting item, how many times can they get me to have it repaired before getting it replaced and how many replacements can they make me have before they refund me?
Also as I live about 10 miles away from the shop, each time I have to go back it takes about an hour of my time, travelling, parking, going in the shop and then returning home and of course 20 miles of fuel and wear and tear on my car. 5 trips would total 100 miles.
Next if they do replace it can they refuse to give me a guarentee on the new product?
Just need some advise about what my exact rights are and what I should say to the woman at the shop.
Hope that someone can help me and sort out this mess.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

There are a number of questions here.

1. Remember that a warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. The replacement would still be covered by your statutory rights.
2. If they do offer you a refund they do not have to give you the full amount, they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had. This might be very little given the nature of the goods.
3. You have to give them reasonable opportunity to repair the item. What is reasonable? Three times seems to be the normal interpretation of this.
4. You can claim direct expenses, but they are unlikely to pay these and you would probably have to take them to court. As the minimum fee is £35 and a lot of hassle it is probably not worth it.

Hope this helps

Tony