How much do estate agents differ?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
As I have regularly lamented, I'm trying to sell my flat and finding it difficult. People keep telling me I should change estate agents. But I am not sure whether it would be worthwhile - I think the problem is just that there are no buyers.

What do people think - are individual estate agents different from each other, is there one that you'd recommend or are they are all much the same?

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
how long have you been with estate agents?

Check the contract that you have signed with the estate agents..v.v.v carefully because depending on how long you have been with them, they can charge you if you take your flat off their books!
As to the rest of your question, yes estate agenst do differ enourmosly, we are heading for a bad time in the housing market but some people are still buying, have a little look and find out how many other properties your estate agent is shifting and maybe ask a friend discreetly to arrange a viewing with the estate agent {don't let them know you know them!}.
It's quite a good way to see if the estate agent is doing their job properly.
As someone who is currently trying to buy a house, I can tell you I've come across a lot of variation in how well an estate agent sells a place to you.
One who showed me round a house couldn't have looked more disinterested if he'd stood there picking his nose! His response to my polite enquiry about some concerns I had about the property pretty much came across as 'well you can either buy the property or ***** off':eek: I kid you not, I'd taken a friend with me who was appalled!
Another estate agent who showed me round a property {from connells} was absolutly lovely, she made helpful suggestions, she wasn't too pushy and she was very realistic about whether the property would suit our needs or not.
Most importantly when she didn't know something I had asked she immeadiatly said she didn't know but she contacted the seller and phoned me back the same day to let me know:)
Do you know anyone else who's sold a property in the same area? Ask them who they used and if they were any good.
Best of luckx x

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for this, that seems sensible. Unbelievably, we have actually got a viewer for this Friday, so I will see how that goes and then think about changing agents. I've checked our contract and it looks like we would be liable to pay our current estate agent the £300 marketing charge (for brochures etc) if we switched.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
In an interesting new development, we've just received a bill for the £300 (plus VAT) from our estate agent. On checking my contract, although it says that fees are payable from the proceeds of a sale, it also says they reserve the right to invoice for advertising fees on a monthly basis. I presume they are getting desperate and trying to sort out their cash flow, but since I've just paid my MOT and road tax, they will have to wait!

We've actually got three viewings in the next few days, so I'll wait and see how they go before making a decision about changing agents.