Not impressed with Morrisons at all!!

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
:mad: just thought I would share this one with you..
Went to my local branch to do some shopping with my toodeler the other day and since it was lunch time, I thought as you do that I would pop into the cafe and get him some food.
Anyway got a plate of scampi and chips to share with him and got part way down to discover that the plate it had been served on was clearly dirty with with the remains of someone else's meal {bleeeeuuurrrgghh}
I approached the staff about this to be met with blank stares of incomprehension from the young man behind the counter followed by 'oh well um, we've been having some problems with the dishwasher'.
No offer of a refund, no apology ..nothing...
I have written to my local council environmental health department and morrisons head office with accompanying mobile phone pics but what ever happened to the customer is king???

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That is really poor and reflects bad staff training. A well trained member of staff should have been able to turn that round and made you feel most pleased.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I agree with Tony- did you ask to speak to the cafe manager? I would have done so to make sure that the staff are being properly trained (or re-trained). It was lucky (in a sense) that you spotted this, I shudder to think what would happen to someone who didn't (Yuk!).

I hopw you get an adequate response from Morrisons head office and the environmental dept.

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
Just to let you know, I did hear down the grapevine that the environmental health slammed the Morrisons cafe and they were closed for 2 days doing a top to toe clean:)
Haven't heard anything back off morrisons yet though!

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Customer service is a continual bone of contention for me. Barbarp, you're right - what ever happened to 'the customer is king?'. It seems that whenever I raise a query, be it with a clothes store or my local printers, they immediately go on the offensive. I sometimes walk away from a conversation with a staff member feeling as though I was in the wrong for bringing the matter to their attention. They often feel that so long as they replace the item or refund the money, I have no right to be angry with them.

Companies seem to be more corporately orientated as opposed to customer orientated.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
That's pretty poor. I agree with you that many retail staff get defensive as soon as there are any problems, to the point where I will sometimes just not go back somewhere rather than raise an issue (yes, I am a coward). And yet if they take your criticism in a positive way, they can leave you with a great impression. My partner once complained to a supermarket that their fish had given him food poisoning. They sent a manager round to the house to personally apologise and give him vouchers - that made a great impression and meant that when my partner told other people about it, the supermarket came out looking pretty good.

alberthot

Dec 24, 2009
Bought some turkey bits from morrisons got them home opened the pack to cook up for supper. The meat was rotten. Had to make do with toast for tea. Took it back and told them. No apologies no compensation or money for my petrol and a snotty look for daring to bring it back. Rang head office to complain and got nothing, Apparently it's their policy to treat customers like s**t. I am now taking them to court on principle for consequential losses and a refund plus the £30 court fee. Disgraceful company. Spread the word

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Albert,

It is not advisable to start a small claim without giving Morrisons the opportunity to put the situation right. After doing this and assuming the remedy is not acceptable you need to send them a notice before action letter giving them two weeks notice of court action.

HTH

Tony

alberthot

Dec 24, 2009
Thanks Toni
Just cutting a long story short. Sad fact of life these days is that you have to threaten court action just to get what your legally entitled to. Done this numerous times, sometimes wonder whether it's worth all the hastle.

Brian

Jan 6, 2010
:mad: just thought I would share this one with you..
Went to my local branch to do some shopping with my toodeler the other day and since it was lunch time, I thought as you do that I would pop into the cafe and get him some food.
Anyway got a plate of scampi and chips to share with him and got part way down to discover that the plate it had been served on was clearly dirty with with the remains of someone else's meal {bleeeeuuurrrgghh}
I approached the staff about this to be met with blank stares of incomprehension from the young man behind the counter followed by 'oh well um, we've been having some problems with the dishwasher'.
No offer of a refund, no apology ..nothing...
I have written to my local council environmental health department and morrisons head office with accompanying mobile phone pics but what ever happened to the customer is king???
I think that the worst bit of this is that you wanted to feed a toddler scampi and chips in a cafe. No idea about healthy diets for kids then? , (or spelling and grammar) but a keen opportunist for cash back and a good moan. I would bet that instead of civilly requesting a fresh plate you had a good strop first. I get that impression from your idea of taking photos and going to the bother of sending them to an environmental officer. I agrre plates should be clean and customer is king (or queen in your case) but you werent fed a rat and I assume you saw that the plate wasnt the cleanest before you had eaten any food. How is at the back of your cooker? Immaculate?.

alberthot

Dec 24, 2009
Brian. Your spelling is Atrocious and so is your grammar. You don't seem to make any sense. Time to make your merry way back to the Day Centre.
P.s. Better ask mummy before you start messing about on the computer.

Brian

Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for reading my post. I suggest that if you disagree with it, that you make valid reasons as to why, rather than criticise my grammar whilst making a complete nonsense with your own use and non use of capital letters. Incidentally my mother would be 115 years old were she still around and I have around 80 computers of my own and a similar number of staff operating them. I don't attend a day centre, I own a small call centre. Note the British spelling too. Being British, I do not rely on a US language based spell checker as perhaps you do?

alberthot

Dec 24, 2009
Pot calling Kettle black thing Brian. Sorry don't buy the load of old garbage in your last post.

Brian

Jan 6, 2010
In the cold light of day, I was a bit reactive. I was really more annoyed about toddlers being fed deep fried food and that dispelled my sympathy for the lady's annoyance and subsequent stonewalling by a dozy member of Morrisons staff. As for a dirty plate? Without seeing it, I cant comment, but would assume that who ever placed the scampi and chips on it hadn't noticed it, so it probably was not a festering lump of gunge. Yes,not acceptable, but perhaps unlikely to be a full scale health hazard. Hence no action from Environmental Officers. It does seem that common sense and acceptance that sometimes things go wrong or are imperfect, is non existent these days. Hence my reference to cleanliness at the back of the lady's cooker. However greed and self righteousness abounds, especially when freebies, refunds and compensation enter the equation. Incidentally, I have no connection with Morrisons other than buying my fuel there.

shirley123

Feb 6, 2010
well ill never shop in that shop ever again went to our local one in gloucester last night .being friday other half got himself a case off stella small trolley was full off shopping so our son whos 17 carried it in the store got to check out only to be told we could not buy the lager coz the dip stick manager beliived it was for our son .i no rules are rules and under age drinking has to be curbed but this is stupid the poor girl on the check out said the new manager had them doing it all day me thinks hes trying to get to the top well he aint going to do that with unhappy customers :mad:

Brian

Jan 6, 2010
What amazes me is the number of people who are oblivious to common sense. Given the amount of press coverage regarding the under 18 rule, the significant number of similar incidents in supermarkets regarding the refusal to serve anyone who is the least likely to be legitimately entitled to buy alcohol. Shirley 123 still cant be bothered to get a decent sized trolley and carry her own (allegedly) beer in it, or hand her underage son son anything but a case of beer to carry and avoid the issue. She hasnt given the supermarket much option has she??

Amazing that she wants to complain when her own stupidity is actually to blame.

I imagine she would also complain if she was told not to wear a balaclava in a bank queue

shirley123

Feb 6, 2010
hey brian re your reply any need for your for that comment think you need to get a life ....anway i had no problem at asda and i didnt need a balaclava or a pound

Thormod

Sep 14, 2010
Morrisons has to have the most abominable customer service on the planet. I have on several occasions met with a couldn't care less attitude on the part of both management and staff. They also repeatedly carry out a scam whereby they put items on offer at half price, but you consistently get charged full price at checkout. I have reported this several times in store and to head office, but it still goes on, leaving one to assume that it is company policy. Offering items at half price and then knowingly charging the full amount at checkout is theft and a criminal act. One can only imagine the amount of people getting a large weekly shop and not bothering to check their reciept, which is presumably what this store relies on.

shyla

Jul 8, 2011
I worked for a Morrisions store that had rats, the pallets were bought out and the stock smelt of pee which was very strong, rats dropping were all over the cartons and packets and you could clearly see where the rats had chewed into the packets of flour and cartons of milk, the staff were told to clean the cartons and put them on the shelves, everyone was too scared of the manager to refuse and if you contacted and environmently health and got found out you know you would get a hard time until you left of they managed to get rid of you.

kitten2206

Jul 8, 2011
Beware!!!!

I recently put my CV online looking for a job. Within a short time this woman answered from a company called MR Prestige Finance Inc, seemingly having the type of job I was looking for. Their website looks very impressive and they quote big names as their clients. However, the application form was shoddy and obviously written by someone whose first language wasnt English. They promised all sorts of benefits (25 days hols, private health care, sickness pay etc...) then asked for bank details, that's without an interview or anything. A search of the address found it to be a residential apartment in New York and I doubt a "global" company would be run from someone's front room. When I confronted the woman with this knowledge, all the e mails stopped. Hmmmm I wonder why???? And ask myself if anyone has fallen for it????