New alloy wheels returned but no refund given

wheel_buyer

Oct 28, 2009
Hello all,
I purchased a set of new alloy wheels and tyres on 12/09/2008 at the cost of £845.

I saw an auction on eBay and the company in question had an advert on the auction page. I called the actual shop to enquire about their range, settled on some wheels and paid by card over the phone. This was not an eBay auction and I did not 'settle outside of eBay'.

The wheels finally arrived on 23/10/2008 and turned out to be incorrect. I was extremely frustrated at this point and had lost patience with the firm who had clearly told me lies on several occasions relating to the whereabouts of the wheels and availability of tyres.

The company eventually agreed to take the wheels back and arrange a courier to come and collect them.

Numerous phone calls and the courier finally arrived mid way through December 2008, I have a business post receipt for the collection.

To this day I have not received a refund for the £845. I opened a fraud case with Citibank but they advised 3 months had passed and they could not recover any money (I guess I was naive to the stalling tactics in play). This added further insult to my injury. Incidentally, my card was cloned shortly after purchasing from this firm so I can only assume it was them.

The whole situation caused me quite a lot of stress, at times the owner of the firm would laugh at the down the phone when he knew it was me calling for an update, so I eventually ceased pursuing he money thinking that nothing could be done. I tried my best to block it out of my mind, and only now I find myself able to revisit it. This is probably stupid, I appreciate that.

Is there anything that can be done to recover my money? I have the courier receipt, and copies of emails between myself and the seller, and obviously the original credit card statement. Also, earlier on this year I sent a letter threatening legal action, this was signed for. I have a copy of the letter and the proof of delivery if that helps.

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

This is outrageous. If you have given them notice of legal action, then the next step is a small claim (see link below). This costs £35 which you can claim back and it will make you feel much better I guess. Did you pay with a credit card?

wheel_buyer

Oct 28, 2009
Hi Tony,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I used a Credit Card (CitiBank).

Am i exposing myself to any financial risks by filing a claim,for example could I end up with costs that amount to more than what I am owed?

Thank you

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Absolutely not that's the whole point of the Small Claim process. The credit card company is equally liable under section 75 of the consumer credit act. This is another avenue to pursue

wheel_buyer

Oct 28, 2009
Thank you for your time. I've submitted a Money Claim so I'll wait for the result of that.

I'll update this thread with any new developments.

Thanks again.

wheel_buyer

Oct 28, 2009
The claim document has been returned to me marked by the Royal Mail "The recipient has gone away".

This was on a Royal Mail sticker which had other tick boxes including "the recipient has moved locaton" so, it sems this process was a waste of money as it costs me £40 to re-serve the claim, and no doubt the criminals know exactly what to do and will claim "not here again" until I give up because it costs too much to continue.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Oh dear, you can find the address of the Directors on the Companies House website. Why don't you make a claim against the Credit Card company? This is is not a fraud claim it is a section 75 claim which makes them equally liable. What card did you use?