BBC Watchdog: Energy firms scout for custom in high street shops and supermarkets

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
First it was cold calling, and then it was a knock at the door. But now Watchdog is getting complaints about another tactic energy companies use to get you to sign up. Their salesmen are targeting you right in the middle of your shopping.

We're all used to being approached when out on the high street or in a shopping centre but what some of you find more annoying is when the reps are working inside big-name stores or right by the aisle in the supermarket.

Some people done mind being offered a news deal on their gas or electricity but it't not what everyone wants when they've just popped out for a magazine or a tin of beans, especially if the salesman is on the pushy side.

Followed me
Karen Billing was approached by an Npower rep in her local WH Smiths where she'd gone to look at magazines. She says she told the rep immediately that she wasn't interested but he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"He followed me around the store harassing me, asking who my supplier was, how much I was paying" Karen told us.

"In the end I just left the store because I was so angry at what I was subjected to." Karen added.

And after 17 years as a loyal customer with WH Smith, Karen says she won't be going back.

Misled by a rep
Julie Cox was approached by an EDF rep in her local Sainsbury's.

The rep offered her what looked like a cracking rate for her electricity so she signed up. However, when the bill came, she was horrified to see that she was on a different rate to the one she'd been promised.

"It said 8.93p per unit and it was even underlined by the rep. And he said the price was fixed. Then, I noticed with my first bill that they were charging me 12.2p per unit" Julie told us.

Julie had been charged nearly 40% more for her electricity and was really angry. She complained and got a refund for two energy bills but then EDF said the cheaper rate didn't exist and she's been stuck with the higher rate ever since.

Julie says she felt really "cheesed off".

New regulation on face to face selling
A new move by the Energy regulator, OFGEM should make what happened to Julie easier to avoid. From January, every customer approached face-to-face will then have to be sent a written quote, to ensure there's time to compare with other prices on the market.

But should energy companies been invading your shopping space at all? Tell us your thoughts.

WH Smith told Watchdog
"We have a strict code of conduct that third party organisations must follow when in any of our stores. This code clearly states that workers are only allowed to approach shoppers in the stand's designated area and not pursue them aggressively. All of our store managers are aware of this and are empowered to ask the workers to leave if the code of conduct is not being followed.

We have investigated Mrs Billing's complaint and it is clear to us that, in this case, the NPower sales staff had breached our contractual code of conduct. The two specific agency staff members manning the stand that day will no longer be allowed to represent NPower within any WHSmith store. We will writing to Mrs Billing directly to convey our apologies for any distress she may have been caused."

Sainsbury's told Watchdog
"Sainsbury's has enjoyed a successful relationship with EDF Energy since September 2006. EDF Energy appointed sales agents are scheduled to occasionally visit our stores to demonstrate to customers how they could save money on their energy bills by switching to Sainsbury's Energy. All sales advisors are fully trained and accredited under the EnergySure scheme, an initiative launched in 2003 to promote a high standard of service in the energy industry."

npower told Watchdog
"We were concerned to hear about the alleged incident - and very sorry if Mrs Billing was upset by it. We have looked into the occurrence and it appears that the sales agent, who we have identified as working at this particular venue, no longer works for us so therefore our ability to conduct a full investigation is somewhat limited.

We do have arrangements, which allow our sales advisers to work within various venues, such as major supermarket chains and shopping centres, major shows across the country, high street stores and town centres.

Energy suppliers are not alone in using these venues - car insurers, mobile phone retailers etc all use these venues to promote their products and services to people who may otherwise not be aware of them.

As a member of the EnergySure Sales Code of Practice, we do not condone 'high pressure' sales techniques. While we have received minimal complaints from this sales channel, any complaint is treated extremely seriously and is dealt with on a case by case basis and if necessary, appropriate action will be taken. We're proud of our sales force and there is absolutely no place for any misbehaviour in npower.

Regarding the figures you asked for, we have around 150 sales advisors working in approximately 40 venues per week."

EDF told Watchdog
"EDF Energy would like to apologise for any confusion caused to Mrs Cox.

We have undertaken a thorough investigation of her complaint. EDF Energy has agreed to provide Mrs Cox with a further goodwill payment in recognition of the distress and inconvenience she has been caused. We spoke to Mrs Cox on 26 October and she is now satisfied with the actions we have taken to rectify the account and explain her tariff.

Mrs Cox first agreed to become a customer in March 2008 but later changed her mind after speaking to her supplier. Following a further conversation with a sales agent working in Sainsbury in May 2008, she confirmed she was happy to switch her gas and electricity supply. Regrettably, when the sales agent advised Mrs Cox of the price of our fixed price product, she was incorrectly given the price of standard band B rates rather than band A rates.

EDF Energy is dedicated to achieving high standards in the training of all sales advisors and the advisor has been retrained to help ensure this incident does not happen again. All sales advisors are audited regularly to ensure customers receive the high standard of service we expect.

Sainsbury's & EDF Energy have been working in partnership since September 2006. Nearly 500,000 customers have chosen Sainsbury's Energy for their gas and electricity and those customers who have switched are benefiting from competitive prices."

"EDF Energy has rebilled Mrs Cox with the Band B rate she was offered in May 2008.

This rate will apply to her account until 31 December, 2009 when the fixed price offer ends.

This is a rare case as we receive very few complaints from Sainsbury's Energy Customers, the overwhelming majority of which are very happy with the service they receive."

British Gas told Watchdog
"We have no salespeople or any employees selling products in any high street stores or supermarkets and we don't have any affiliation partnerships with any retailers."

E.ON told Watchdog
"We have sales people operating on a daily basis in a number of high street stores and supermarkets.
"We have a sales team of around 130 people operating in this way and would normally be in a number of different locations at any time.
"Any complaint relating to sales that E.ON receives is fully investigated and resolved directly with the customer as part of our company complaints handling process."
"All of our in-store sales agents (the same as our field sales agents) must be compliant with the EnergySure code of practice for face-to-face selling which has specific requirements regarding contact with customers. Sales agents are continually assessed and monitored against the requirements of the code and any instances of non-compliance are dealt with accordingly. In addition, all of E.ON's sales agents are trained and must sign a code of conduct which details working practices which they must abide by and failure to do so could result in disciplinary action."

Scottish Power told Watchdog
"ScottishPower has a very small team working in supermarkets and shopping centres, operating in a maximum of six venues across the UK. All of our employees are trained to the highest standards and are Energysure accredited. We believe this sales route offers a valuable additional method for people to access information about energy tariffs that could help them to choose more suitable energy products or to save them money on their energy bills."

Scottish & Southern
Did not wish to comment.

Energy firms scout for custom in high street shops and supermarkets