Philips 32PFL7962D/05 3 months out of warranty????

E30 sam

Oct 30, 2009
Well first of all i bought this 32" Philips Lcd tv, on 30/12/2007. Then the screen went all fuzzy and blue ocasionly so i took it back to Currys on 22/06/2008 and after some arguing they replaced it like for like, no problem.

I then went travelling for 3 months so the TV got very little use, then in july this year the screen starts to go fuzzy again but as i was moving 200 miles away i didn't have time to sort it out. Today i took it to Currys as the screen has got worse and they tell me that because it is out of warranty by 3 months they can't do anything unless i get an engineers report (at my cost) to prove it is a manufactors fault and then they may do something. Then the manager of the store has the cheek to laugh in my face when i told him it wasn't good enough.

I'm pretty sure they should replace it or just give me an exchange TV of similar value, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Sam,

I am afraid that they are correct although that does not really allow them to laugh in your face. When a product is more than six months old the burden of proof lies with the consumer and that mean getting an engineer's report. You can reclaim the cost of this if it has an inherent fault and has not been damaged through misuse etc.

Also you need to give them the opportunity to repair before demanding a refund or replacement. A replacement can be a refurb i.e. like-for-like and they can deduct an amount ofr usage before providing a refund.

Cheers,

Tony