Ticketmaster order processing fee

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Well, I've gone and got a bee in my bonnet again.

I was planning on buying some tickets through Ticketmaster today, but stopped when I noticed that as well as their service charge (in this case, £4.50 per ticket) they wanted to fleece me on my order processing fee.

As well as the traditional methods of getting your tickets (delivery and collection from the box office) they are offering a new service called TicketFast. You simply receive a PDF file, print it and take it on the night.

However, they're still charging the same amount as it costs to have them delivered by post or to collect. Why?

Anyway, their help guides aren't really that helpful, other than mentioning that they need to pay for the scanning hardware at the venues. So I couldn't resist firing off an email...

Why does TicketFast cost the same as collection from box office and standard post?

Standard post - you print out, handle and post the tickets. Hence the £3.25 charge

Box office collection - tickets need to be printed out, handled and administered out. Hence the £3.25 charge

TicketFast - I use MY printer, ink and paper to print out a ticket. Cost to TicketMaster - the negligible cost of an email. Systems costs are presumably handled by the service charge. Why the £3.25 charge??

Your order processing fee guide quotes:

"If we incur ticket delivery costs, these will be included in the Order Processing Fee. Examples include postage and packaging, or the support of newer delivery methods such as ticketFast, where scanning hardware is required at participating venues."

I cannot believe that it is costing £3.25 per order up and down the country in every venue to pay for the scanning hardware. If it does, you should have used a different hardware provider.

And if you're sticking by this excuse, when will the fee come down?
I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Argh. Cheers for reminding me Tony, I've been so busy I've forgotten to update this.

Basically, they (of course) argue that it's fair. They claim that the charge is applied before you checkout, so you get prior knowledge of it. They also claim that it is fair because you are paying for the investment in the technology. Their headline argument is that it is a 'convenient' method that means you don't have to wait for your tickets to be posted to you.

I think that's ridiculous because your tickets are mailed out a few weeks before the event anyway - it's not like a CD or book that you can't enjoy before it arrives.

Here is their initial reply:

Thank you for your email.

Like any method of delivery used by Ticketmaster, we charge a processing fee for delivery. This processing fee covers the cost to fulfill your ticket request when you purchase the tickets online or by phone. This includes the installation and maintenance of the system, staffing and product and software development, as well as installing the barcode scanners at the venues multiple access points.

TicketFast is often more convenient for customers, as you get your tickets right away with no box office collection lines or mail delivery to wait for. You can print them at your convenience, and forward them to others attending the event so they can print their own tickets.

In accordance with the Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers (STAR) by whom we are regulated, a Ticketmaster agent or our internet sales site will always clearly identify the face value and any additional convenience or handling charge before proceeding with the transaction. This carefully scripted information is to ensure the customer knows how the total price is constructed consequently and gives them a choice to continue or decline.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I am glad I was able to assist you today.

We are continually striving to deliver a World Class Service to our customers. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.
My retort:

Whilst I appreciate that the fee is highlighted before purchasing tickets, I still do not understand how it is fair.

I have visited this venue twice in the last month, and on entrance ALL tickets have bar codes that are scanned by staff on the door. Therefore, if I was to have the tickets printed by you and posted (£3.25) or printed at the box office (£3.25), these too will have a bar code that needs to be scanned using the same hand held equipment.

So therefore, all tickets need to use this system, and I cannot see how you can simply sell this on convenience alone (since mailed tickets will still arrive several weeks before the event, there isn't much inconvenience in waiting for them to arrive).

Just because a charge is announced does not make it fair or appropriate, especially when there is no option to avoid the charge. What this amounts to is an addition to the mandatory service charge - why not just lump them together?
And their reply to that:

Thank you for you email.

A delivery charge for posted tickets will obviously be used by Royal Mail to deliver the tickets to you. When the charge comes to box office collection the charge goes to the venue itself for use of there facilities to print your tickets there. Now in regards to Ticketfast the delivery charge is to maintain the system itself as previously stated. Not every venue allows Ticketfast as a valid entry form but the ones who do have the necessary scanners to do so. We offer Ticketfast as a convenient option to receive your tickets right after booking for peace of mind that some customer's prefer.

If you are unhappy with the delivery method you have chosen please contact me again and I will be happy to void those tickets and arrange for them to be sent to you via 1st class post so the delivery charge will be used by Royal Mail.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.
In the end I just travelled to the ticket office myself. Despite the journey and cost of parking, I still saved around a tenner compared to their charges.