A car swap through PistonHeads.com that has backfired? Advice needed pls!

RachelWolsey

Nov 5, 2009
Hello everyone!

I am writing this on behalf of my (somewhat idiotic) brother, who thought it would be a good idea to swap his car online!

If you've not heard of it, PistonHeads.com Classifieds is an car selling website, and also allows you to search for sellers that are considering a car swap! My brother signed up, and found someone with a car he wanted to exchange for his own.

2 weeks ago they met half way, they each tested the cars and were happy...my brother also came away with some cash as part of the exchange as his was worth slightly more.

Now, two weeks since the exchange the engine has blown on the car (?!?!) making it almost worthless as it will cost thousands to repair. I would have thought that as it has only been two weeks the seller should be liable, but don't know the law regarding private sale/exchanges. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Rachel :) xxx

p.s sorry for the pun in the subject title (hehehe)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Rachael,

I am afraid that because this was a private sale you brother has no rights in terms of 'quality'. He would only have a comeback if the seller did not have the right to sell or the car was significantly not as described.

Sorry not the answer you want to hear. I hope it did not involve a lot of money.

Tony

BTW Because of the above some dealers will pretend to be private sellers