Second hand faulty gas fire

Just-JJ

Nov 5, 2009
Hi all (apologies if this is in wrong place am a newbie)

I bought a gas fire about a month ago, which was sold as working.

The intention was to knock a hole in our chimney so it could be fitted in properly, but, sadly, there is a jocking great brick pillar precisely where it needed to go, so, several phone calls later to my housing association, we would need an RSJ put it in order to do it - not a chance, we cannot afford it.

So I readvertised it, as obviously we cant stand the loss, and it went today to a new home.

I have just received a phone call telling me the fire is faulty, and if fitted could in fact prove fatal.

I admit I got quite angry with her on the phone, as she was intimating that I knew it was faulty when I sold it her which is absolutely not the case at all - for christs sake we were gonna have it fitted ourselves!!!!!

Where do I stand legally? I have already emailed the woman I bought it from as I am gobsmacked, but, as far as I can see, I am not legally bound to be responsible to pay to have it repaired??

JJ x

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes you are absolutely correct. For goods from a privatecsale it is a case of buyer beware unless it is significantly not as described.

Just-JJ

Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for that Tony :D

It was sold with a solid granite surround, very modern/retro, and the granite alone would have cost the original buyer about £400 - I sold the whole lot for £65 (although the lady says they arent going to use the granite).

I have not decided anything on this matter as wanted to check on here first.

When I spoke to her last night she was basically saying whatever it is going to cost to have it repaired/pay for replacement parts, I am legally bound to pay it - knowing valor it could be hundreds of pounds (cheaper to buy a new fire I would guess).

I had no idea it was not working as we didnt have the opportunity to fit it, but it was purchased in good faith by us having been told it was in perfect working order - if I had discovered it was faulty it would have been skipped and we would have just sold on the granite on its own.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
For £65 she must have known she was taking a risk. I guess you could give her a refund sell the granite yourself or tell her to do the same