Faulty Notebook - Where Do I stand - What Are My Rights

sharky

Nov 7, 2009
Hi,

I'm after a little bit of advice. I purchased a notebook from Rock with a three year warrenty for around 1000 GBP, after just over two years (April 2009) it developed a fault and was sent back, on the day it was returned it failed again and went back and it took 6 weeks for a part arrive, since then it has been back to support 3 more times for the original issue. In the last 7 months I have only used the notebook for a matter of weeks in July and August.

Initially I was extreamly pleased with the purchase, however given the current situation, I'm not only dissapointed but I've also lost confidence in the product.

It's currently with the support deparment and after numerous discussion and also me saying that I currently don't think the notebook is fit for purpose, I have been offered repair or replacement, which is of simailer spec though some of componets are not as nice as that I had on my original (one of reason it was selected). I do not know if the replacement is new or refurbished (the cynic in my thinks it could be with parts from my original laptop).

What I'm trying to understand and before I make a decision, what legally are my rights (if any)? e.g. should I be offered a new notebook or a refurbished one and should I be worse off in anyway than the original notebook spec?

I must stress that I'm not after miracles or greater spec, just a working, reliable laptop that I'll have confident in again.

Many Thanks.

James

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi James, given the circumstances you could request a refund as they have failed to fix it On three different occassions. However, they can deduct an amount for the usage that you have had. If you go for a replacement it doesn't have to be new but you have to be happy with what they are offering.

HTH

Tony