currys (not so helpfull)

lucky bonzo

Nov 8, 2009
Hi,hope somebody can help.I bought a 42inch LCD TV in Curry's on 3 June, its stopped working, i phoned the help line explained the problem they'll send an engineer out,the problem is i don't want it repaired i want a new one its only 5 months old ,just been to the store spoke to the manager he refuses to replace or refund its got to be fixed by the tech team they only replace up to 28 days.where do i stand do i have any rights.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Lucky,

Curry's are within their rights to offer a repair. If there are three failed attempts then you can demand a replacement or a refund. However, a replacement does not need to be new - it can be reconditioned and a refund can take into account the usage you have had.

Tony

Bagpuss

Apr 7, 2010
Portadown
Currys are going to get a right kick up the ass later this spring when Best Buy UK open their first store. Damned expensive too, the staff well.... Cloned Saturday boys one and all

Timber

Apr 7, 2010
Currys are going to get a right kick up the ass later this spring when Best Buy UK open their first store. Damned expensive too, the staff well.... Cloned Saturday boys one and all
And that's why I dont shop at Currys!

Bagpuss

Apr 7, 2010
Portadown
If they used a quarter of their marketing spend on staff training and price cut's it'd do them untold good. PC World though has a slightly better feel though, don't you think?

Timber

Apr 7, 2010
If they used a quarter of their marketing spend on staff training and price cut's it'd do them untold good. PC World though has a slightly better feel though, don't you think?
Yes - but they're not the only ones!

Bagpuss

Apr 7, 2010
Portadown
I use my local Electrical Retailer these days, better value and customer service - Don't look at you blankly when you've got a problem!

It's always good to support local people and local jobs especially in rural areas
Alot of them are in Retra, giving you additional consumer rights too.

Last edited by a moderator:

janichblue

Nov 8, 2010
My experience with Currys was a TV that went wrong out of guarantee. I asked them to repair it in my home, as they said they would do when I bought it (I knew I had to pay) but they wouldn't even come out!

I pointed out what I had been told at time of purchase but they weren't interested. Went to the shop and they were worse than useless etc. Ended up taking action in the Small Claims Court and after about 6 months it was settled out of court when they sent me a cheque for £1000. TV cost me £1250 some 2.5 years before. Stick to your guns and don't let them intimidate you.

Will never buy from Currys again. Bought from local shop with 5 years on-site and they will give a replacement tv if original has to go back. Currys would not do this which again annoyed me as they said if they took the TV away to repair it it may take up to 6 weeks! They are a joke.