Faulty Dehumidifier

sheff_

Nov 9, 2009
Hi,

I purchased a dehumidifier on 8th October 2008 on credit card. It has now ceased to work as it should. It does not extract moisture, it merely blows air ,so it is useless.

The item cost me £140 and I would expect it to last for a fair few years. A friend who purchased the same one before me is still working!

I spoke to the retailer who said it was out of warranty so I had no claim and that I should speak to the manufacturer. I spoke to them and they seemed a little surprised that it had broken (they stated a heating element must have gone).

How should I process a claim for a repair through my credit card company?

I have contacted them and they first advised me to see if it was covered under their "Extended Warranty Insurance" (this comes with an Egg Money Card.

However I cannot claim on this because the product was bought before they added this extra to the account.

What would my next course of action be?

Many thanks

Matt

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Matt

I would suggest a discussion with your local trading standards office or consumer direct, as any item should be fit for the purpose it was sold, an expensive product should last more than 13 months.

I would also suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them to repair it or replace it, and tell them if they don't you will be either involving your local trading standards office, consumer direct or involving BBC Watchdog.

Good luck

Michael