The shoe industry. Recession-proof?

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Last month retail sales fell almost across the board due mainly to the credit crunch and the weather.

The only sectors that saw growth were food and footwear!

I understand food (After all, if you dont buy food, you die), but shoes?? Really?

Can anyone explain this?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I'm guessing because the car and public transport are so expensive, people are walking everywhere more?

On a more serious note, could it be because of the new school term? Lots of kids (mine included) got new shoes. Otherwise I have no idea why... Unless there was a rush on Wellingtons because of the glorious summer we haven't had...

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Perhaps the rainy weather means more footwear has had to be upgraded or replaced because of damage? My best skate shoes are now a ridiculous green colour after mowing the lawn when it had stopped raining for 10 minutes the other day. Plus I also bought that protector spray to make sure all my leather shoes were waterproofed but if I hadn't done this and worn them out and about a few times they'd be crumbling by now.

I noticed my neighbour just had a new pair of trainers delivered. (He wasn't at home so I took the delivery).