£60 CHARGE FOR BEING OVER DRAWN BY 88p

alphachild

Nov 11, 2009
UNBELIEVABLE, I have just been charged a total of £60 by my bank ABBEY for being overdrawn by 88p because of a direct debit. Called them now and have refund £35 as I have not had any charges on my account before. Now want me to pay £25 which I am refusing to pay and they are sending me a complaints form. It is absurd how can you charge £60 because of 88p. The guy had a very nonchalant attitude on the phone. He could not care less, telling me that I spent money I did not have. I told him its only a joint account and we do not use it that much. It was over drawn form 28th October and by 30th £20 was paid in(I have a staning order of £20 every friday from my person account (also with ABBEY))I am gobsmacked, especially considering that we have 4 accounts with ABBEY and I have been with them over 18years.

What can I do??? Sure I cant be expected to pay £25 because of 88p????

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I guess it depends on the terms and conditions of your account. I would write to the bank and ask them to write off this charge as it will cost them more to process the payment than you went overdrawn.

In my experience Abbey have been good, they tried to charge me £35 overdrawn fee plus £0.36 debit interest, I wrote to them saying that for the sake of £1.20 for a weekend, it was not worth the bank charging me, and they refunded the £35.00.

Its worth a try.