pc world

fluffy

Nov 12, 2009
hi guys hopefully someone ere can give me some advice i paid nearly £500 for a laptop from pc world in december last year, after 6 months it started overheating and turning itself off, it was so hot it would burn my legs because it was only ever happening every now and again and i was using the laptop for atleast 6 hours every single day i never done anything about it, 2 months ago it started happening more often, wen i was moving house several weeks ago i found the receipt and took it back to pc world who sent me home with it and a number to call, i did and they collected next day and after just 2 days i recieved a tx to say it would be returned next day, they returned it with a peice of paper bit like a checklist to say everything was checked, slight queery on the fan but no repairs needed :confused: within 24 hours it started switching off again but this time it wasnt even hot, it wasnt on long enough to get hot, i kept trying to restart it, couldnt beleive it was happening again after being told basically by the peice of paper (no phone call) that it was working fine, after 20 mins of trying continuesly the charging light even went out, no power watsoever not even from charger i went straight bak to shop who tried to book it in for a health check and charge me ????? i said no way as it was still under gaurentee i wanted it fixed free of charge !! they told me to ring compaq direct and sent me off with a number, i went home and called, after being in a cue for wat seemed like hours i finally spoke to an american women who was tryin to explain we were gonna go through some steps and to type in an address, i tried to explain that i couldnt even get the thing turned on and she said we will go through safe mode, agasin i tried explaining that there was no power at all she got arsey and put the phone down on me i went srtaight back to shop who rel;uctently took it in for instore repair, they had it 10 days i finally got a call to collect (today) saying it was a faulty charger, i collected got home and after jus 20 mins it switched off :mad: i tried to restart and again and a further 8 times switched off, it was so hot underneath i almost burnt my hand !! i so wanted to get in my car drive the 10 miles back to pc world and through it at the tech guys :mad: but i calmed down and decided to leave it overnight, its been on for over an hour now, its really hot but not switching off :confused: i feel like im going mad, one min it works the next it doesnt, not sure were to from here, would really like thm to just replace it, they have had it twice an its only got worse, any advice guys ?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Fluffy,

You need to put something in writing so that you have an audit trail. I would give them one more opportunity to fix it and if they can't then you can ask for a refund or replacement. Bear in mind that they might if you do get a refund they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had and if they give you a replacement it can be a refurbished model. Have a look at this:

Faulty Laptops Rights | Consumer Information

And there is a letter template in here:

Faulty Playstation 3 Rights | Consumer Information

Tony

Tony