vodafone & water damage issues

lordkevros

Nov 13, 2009
Hi,

Not sure if this has been answered fully in the forums tried a search and cannot find exactly what I'm looking for - so apologies if this does exist elsewhere.

Vodafone are refusing to fix my blackberry bold handset under warranty claiming water damage. They have issued their standard letter and a photograph of supposedly my handset internals "proving" the damage.

I know for a fact that the phone has not been accidentally (or purposely!) exposed/immersed in liquid/steam rooms/bathrooms etc.

Furthermore the water damage indicator on the inside wall of the battery compartment is white as snow.

I feel that the photograph is pretty much useless as a) you cannot actually tell what you are supposed to be looking at that's wrong and b) there is no evidence that its actually my handset.

I read somewhere on this forum that you have consumer rights under warranty if the device has had normal usage. Is this correct and are there any legal documents or reference I can refer to?

Any other experiences or advice on what actions I can take would be very much appreciated.

I have already spoken to customer services and emailed them to no avail. They will not budge on their stance, but as I'm unaware of any consumer rights I may have to resolve this, I have not been able to use anything effectively to help.

Thank you.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How old is the phone? Water damage is often used as a reason for not fixing phones.

ells13

Apr 15, 2010
i had a faulty samsung u900 and vodafone claimed water damage ! and asked if i'd ever used it outside ???..... imagine that a mobile phone being used outside !! in a country that is prone to the odd shower ! its just an excuse to kerb costs, i'd heard they were cutting back due to the recession, i didnt think it would be all at the customers expense. but thats not half my story ! check out my blog.........vodafone customer care.... AWFUL...BE WARNED !

mattes21

Apr 19, 2010
Hi there,

Very new to the forum thing so please take it easy on me...

Right...

I have recently taken it upon myself to assist my sister in her case with vodafone. below is a brief idea of her situation.

Sony Ericsson c902

Bought on: 24-10-09

Phone broke on: 12-03-10 error msg and turning self off

Phone sent for repair on: 13-03-10 perfect condition apart from above

Received phone back on: 18-03-10 ( water damage)

Advised that my sister had either used the phone and I "quote" in the shower or whilst standing in the rain....

please wait I need to get something out of my system....

----L-----M-----A------O------

THATS BETTER...

I have contacted vodafone only to be told they are within their right...
I have also contacted trading standards about this, only to be told, this is an on going thing they are hearing about vodafone. But they do not have enough complaints or correspondence regarding the matter to do anything about it.

So heres my idea... why don't we provide trading standards with the information they require??

Here is what I thing we could all do, I have set up a dedicated email address in order to receive emails from several forums and sites.

All I ask is that if you have experienced the above from vodafone, Then send me an email with the details of your situation?

You can do this via emailing me a letter to print off, including:
Name, address and contact details ( PLEASE DATE)
Mobile make and model
purchase date
any repair dates
repair replies from vodafone
any photos from vodafone
plus anything else you may find important...

Unfortunately because im a newbie to the site I need to post 10 times before I can provide the dedicated email address ?? ? ? ?

I am hoping to get as many replies to this as I can because I think its about time the paying consumer had their say on this matter.
Its very unfair that vodafone have a right to put damage down to water damage in order to void your warranty.

So if we can get as many letters sent to trading standards as we can hopefully we can get this heard more.

PLEASE BE HEARD AND MAKE A STAND!!
MANY THANKS, MATT:)

Last edited:

mattes21

Apr 19, 2010
hi there,

very new to the forum thing so please take it easy on me...

Right...

I have recently taken it upon myself to assist my sister in her case with vodafone. Below is a brief idea of her situation.

Sony ericsson c902

bought on: 24-10-09

phone broke on: 12-03-10 error msg and turning self off

phone sent for repair on: 13-03-10 perfect condition apart from above

received phone back on: 18-03-10 ( water damage)

advised that my sister had either used the phone and i "quote" in the shower or whilst standing in the rain....

Please wait i need to get something out of my system....

----l-----m-----a------o------

thats better...

I have contacted vodafone only to be told they are within their right...
I have also contacted trading standards about this, only to be told, this is an on going thing they are hearing about vodafone. But they do not have enough complaints or correspondence regarding the matter to do anything about it.

So heres my idea... Why don't we provide trading standards with the information they require??

Here is what i thing we could all do, i have set up a dedicated email address in order to receive emails from several forums and sites.

All i ask is that if you have experienced the above from vodafone, then send me an email with the details of your situation?

You can do this via emailing me a letter to print off, including:
Name, address and contact details ( please date)
mobile make and model
purchase date
any repair dates
repair replies from vodafone
any photos from vodafone
plus anything else you may find important...

Unfortunately because im a newbie to the site i need to post 10 times before i can provide the dedicated email address ?? ? ? ?

I am hoping to get as many replies to this as i can because i think its about time the paying consumer had their say on this matter.
Its very unfair that vodafone have a right to put damage down to water damage in order to void your warranty.

So if we can get as many letters sent to trading standards as we can hopefully we can get this heard more.

Please be heard and make a stand!!
Many thanks, matt:)

if you are a member of other sites regarding this matter... Please make sure you point them in this direction and get them to sign up, to get involved! Please, vodafone shouldn't be able to get away with this...