Refusal of "chargeback"

AngelEyes

Nov 13, 2009
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and came across it because I've been very stupid and been scammed by an online website that was a mirror image of the official "ugg" boot website, not only was it a mirror image, but it also came up automatically on the google search, I didn't have to search down the links, so I didn't even think for one moment it would not have been the genuine site - the same layout, picture, everything.

My daughter has wanted a pair for a long time, but the price was out of our league - she then got the "official" site up, and was very excited as they had a "3 day 70% off sale" with free delivery. Because it was what I thought the official site, I immediately ordered and paid for them.

After about 5days they didn't arrive, so I went on the site, and this "3 day only sale" was still on :confused: So I clicked "contact us" and my heart sank - there was no telephone number or address :(

I did some searching, and discovered that it was one of many fake scam sites, and eventually found the real site that gave you a facility to search these scam sites out. Also, after tracking the parcel, it has been seized by customs, after arriving from China.

I telephoned visa immediately, as I paid with my visa debit card, they told me I could claim it back on a "chargeback", so I phoned my bank and they told me it'd be sorted out within a few days. I also phoned trading standards to report the website, and they gave me a ref number for my bank, and I also reported the website to customs, and telephoned the official ugg company and gave them the sites details too.

I called my bank today as I've not heard anything, and they told me that their fraud dept have made a decision to not give me the chargeback :( When I asked them why, they said that they based their decision on the fact that 1;the parcel has arrived in the country, and 2; it is counterfeit! I told them that these where the exact 2 reasons that I am entitled to the chargeback, as fake or counterfeit goods comes under this, also I have not and will not receive the boots as they've been seized. Also even the financial ombudsman is writing them a letter on my behalf as they say I am entited, but they say it could take up to 6mths. I know it may not be a ot to some people but times are hard, and it's a lot of money to us as I'm disabled.

When I ordered and paid for these I was ordering and paying for "genuine uggs", not counterfeit, and even if they had have arrived at my home I would have returned them, as I did not pay for fakes.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just wanted to explain everything properly not having posted on here before. And was wondering if anybody knows where I stand on this? Do I have a right?

Thanks very much in advance everyone!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There are a lot of these UGG boot scams. You mention that they are at the top of Google - these are sponsored adverts and Google is making money from this. I would also complain to them.

The problem is that Visa Chargeback Scheme is not provided by law so you will need to go through the due process and wait for FoS. If you had paid with Maestro you would have have had no recourse at all, so you are in a better position than many.

AngelEyes

Nov 13, 2009
There are a lot of these UGG boot scams. You mention that they are at the top of Google - these are sponsored adverts and Google is making money from this. I would also complain to them.

The problem is that Visa Chargeback Scheme is not provided by law so you will need to go through the due process and wait for FoS. If you had paid with Maestro you would have have had no recourse at all, so you are in a better position than many.
Thanks for that Tony! I had no idea that google made money from this, or that I could complain to google!

What do you think my chances are of getting reimbursed? I know I probably sound like a moaning old miser - but we honestly are in a very bad position financially as it is, and have no other way of bringing in extra income via work as I'm also disabled, also I'm quite a trusting person, and I honestly feel very cheated. Anything that shows me that the human race are nothing other than genuine upsets me.

I did try to post the link to the real and the fake site, but it wouldn't allow me to as I've not done 10 posts yet, but as soon as I have I will post them, if nothing else it will hopefully prevent at least one person from being duped as I was.

Thanks again!