It's All Aboard The Nationalised Express

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
All this noise about it possibly being better now it's a nationalised line. The trains were rubbish 'back in the day', but everyone has conveniently forgotten about that.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I really don't remember them being nationalised, not because I'm too young, just that I wasn't a train user.

Since 1998, I've used trains very frequently and have only really seen improvements in the last 4-5 years. This line was run by GNER, until their parent company ran out of money, then National Express won the franchise, now they've run out of money.

I really hope that whatever happens ... Nationalised or not ... the improvements continue, and the train stations get better as well as the trains.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not exactly old enough either, being a young whippersnapper, but have seen plenty of programmes about it and read some news stories. If you ever watch Ian Hislop's series on the Railways he dedicates a part of the programme to our rose tinted view of the old railway. It's quite amusing to see people at the time moaning to a news camera about the cost, the cleanliness and the punctuality.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I might have to look for that or similar programmes ... not that I'm a train spotter or anything ... lol.

I do remember going on a tilting train and feeling sick everytime we went round corners at high speed ... and the 8 hour journey to Great Yarmouth, when I was about 11.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I used to catch a lot of trains as a child and remember loving the carriages that you got into. I disagree with Chutzpah saying they were rubbish in the day. I think they were great. Or am I coming at it from nostalgic child tinted goggles?