Rbs Invoice finance and subcontractor

darrenhill

Nov 17, 2009
I run a sole trader company Tel Communications, in may 2007 i employeed a subcontractor to do some work for me. He supplied an office telephone system and installed it for me to a new customer of my compnay.

He told me he used invoice financing through RBS and that they would send a into pack and invoice for the work he did and that i was to pay them direct.

After about 2 months i got complaints from my customer that the system was not working properly i tried to contact the subby who installed th system all his numbers were dead i wrote to his last address i had on file and got no reply. this went on for a further 2 months. in all this time i had not received a welcome pack or invoice from RBS.

My customer was not pleased. After trying agin to contact my subby after 5 months i took maters into my own hands and had the system replaced. I sent a final letter to my subby explaing his goods no longer worked proplery and that i had replaced them i also sent an invoice for the replacement costs which were the same. In october of the same year i got an invoice from RBS in the name tel communications ltd ( this was the old company trading style changed in dec 2006 from ltd to sole trader) i rang up RBS and explained the situation about the work and equipment
been faulty and that i had changed out the system and had the work re done i aslo told them the invoice was in the incorrect name.

They have since instructed optima legal to take me to court over the debt my subby has passed over to them he has been paid through RBS invoice finance. I have defended the case at county court it has now been pass to a small claims case fro february next year.

My question ar is there anything under consumer law which cover this, as i had no contract with RBS what so ever they did not invoice me for 6 months after and in the wrong name can anyone help?

the defense are saying the contract was pass to me by my subby help

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Darren,

This is not a consumer issue as you are operating a business it will be covered by contract law. Trading Standards will be able to offer advice about factoring etc. they provide advice to business owners as well consumers.

Tony