Working my way through the libary

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Did anybody see the 100 best books of the decade list in the Times? I think it was The Times anyway. I'm going to work my way through this list each time I go to the library. I have made a pact never ever to buy new books again. Sorry independent book retailers but I have to stop myself from spending what has probably amounted to a thousand pounds over the last four or five years. An addiction to buying books and no time to read them. Oh well.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I joined my local library last week, I used to be a member, but a tour of the UK during the last ten years has seen me join libraries elsewhere, cancelling membership at the previous library.

I've been back in my home town since March, and last week, decided I needed a book for an exam I'm sitting this weekend ... so took myself off and joined the local library ... it felt like a rites of passage moment.

I can borrow 20 books at a time, I really should do some more studying!!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Wow - a ten year tour of the UK. That sounds fun and probably not much time left for reading. Yeah, great to get back into it and so cheaply too. Hats off to libraries!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
When I say ten year tour of the UK, its not quite as grand as it sounds, but I have worked in:

Scotland
The North East
Cumbria
The North West
The North
East Midlands
West Midlands
The East
London
The South East
The South
The South West
The West
Wales

And nearly worked in Northern Ireland … but could still do that in the next few months.

And maybe in New York too.

The joys of being self employed.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Blimey, I have lived within a two mile radius for the last couple of years! I'm jealous! Although I like my two square mile radius!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I returned to my home town in March of this year after 10.5 years away, to be a part time carer for my elderly grandfather, who has mild dementia.

Since returning, I've sorted out his income tax - he was paying too much, his gas and electric, they owed him in excess of £1,000 and just kept rolling it forward to his next bill, his council tax, he was paying for two adults when he didn't need too.

I've recentley applied for Attendance Allowance, to be told he does not qualify as he can go to the toilet by himself, he might not qualify for benefits, but at least his finances are in better shape than they were in the spring.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Sorry to hear about your grandfather - that must be hard. It's a worry isn't it about how vulnerable we are to these non-caring insitutions/banks/suppliers etc etc. It must be very bewildering once you get to a certain stage. Well done for starting to sort them out and look after him.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Well I've returned the book I borrowed as earlier today I passed the exam I was sitting - I only looked at the book for an hour, but I decided I would get the book from the library incase I needed to swot up.