Refunds - SOG Act - v - Fraud Prevention?

dude.day

Nov 18, 2009
Argos have just refused to refund me for faulty goods returned within days of purchase and with the receipt. They stated that because my partner purchased the item on her debit card (even though its a joint bank A/C) they would only refund to that card. I stated she was unwell and could not reasonably return the item. They said it was the "law" and it was to prevent fraud. I asked if it was a law .. which one .. but was not answered. I had to accept a "gift voucher".

Are Argos breaking the sale of goods Act by effectivly refusing to refund faulty goods?

Cheers

DD

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This happened to me the other day too. It is not the law but it is a measure to prevent money laundering and fraud - exceptions can be made

dude.day

Nov 18, 2009
Hi again

Tony .. its interesting to know I'm not alone in my experience .. but your reply doesn't really answer the question does it. It sounds to me again that the government has created a confusion in the law and may even have conflicting elements of legislation.

OK .. it was only £20 and of couse I'll find a use for the "gift voucher". By the way .. my partner has informed me that even if I purchased any item with the £20 "gift voucher" and then returned that .. I'd only be issued with another gift voucher.

One of our daughters works in retail for Clarks selling their shoes .. and guess what .. she's been issued with the same "policy directive"? by that retailer. Whats really annoying about this is that it leaves ordinary people (consumers) like me arguing the issue at the point of sale with generally junior often inexperienced front line staff who might get into trouble with their employer if they go against their employers "rules". Is it really fair on the staff or me that they have to make such a subjective, value laden judgement as to whether I'm commiting fraud.

It appears that the ordinary comsumer (and the staff) get the hassle .. but I bet the real thieves find a way around this daft situation.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

I know that when you take payments with a card machine as a business the terms state that you have to refund the money to the same card. I think that the money laundering legislation will applies to banks and they in turn pass on the requirement to their customers.

Exceptions can be made - what happens if the old card has expired or you have changed banks etc.

Drop contact us a line. It would be interesting to know what they say.

Tony