Chopping and changing is it worth it?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
What are people's thoughts on shopping around for lower interest credit cards and balance transfers? Is it worth it or will I get such bad credit rating that I should stick with what I've got? I wanted to apply for a Virgin Media card which I've been told is at 0% for sixteen months. That sounds good to me.

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
From what I understand changing credit cards frequently does not affect your credit much at all. Usually I factor in what the fee is to transfer a balance and add up the normal monthly interest I am paying each month on the other card and figure out how long you would need to have the card for to make it worth while. In other words if you make up for your transfer fee in three months what you are saving in interest then having 0% for 16 months is definitely worth the savings.
Alaina

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks Snippa - I have now changed my card. Definitely worth it and I'm kicking myself for my inertia over the previous years.

Henry

Mar 4, 2010
Usually I factor in what the fee is to transfer a balance and add up the normal monthly interest I am paying each month on the other card and figure out how long you would need to have the card for to make it worth while.
I realise you've already plumped for the Virgin Money credit card (which is definitely the best 0% bt card available), but for future use, it might be worth using a balance transfer calculator, such as the one here 0% Balance Transfer Credit Cards | Up to 16 Months Interest Free | Apply Online that will work out the relevant costs so you can see what the saving will be in comparison to what you're currently paying out in interest each month.