Distance Selling rules and Restocking fees

sion3000

Nov 23, 2009
Hi, im quite new so hopefully im posting the correct section.

Ive spent the evening reading and searching through the other posts and have found some relelavnt information but hopefully someone can give me a better answere.

I recently purchased an item from an online web site, the item had a 30 day money back guarantee. When i received the item i immedietley realised it was not going to work as it had the wrong type of connection. (I was only able to see this once the cable had arrived and out of the box)

I then re-packed the item, contacted the web site, who informed me i was able to send the item back with a 30% restocking fee.

When i spoke to the supplier i questioned the re-stocking fee, and they explained that it would be charged as the item was a "special order item". After complaining, they dropped the amount down to 20%. To ensure i send the item back within the 7 days i posted the item back.

They keep saying because it was a special order item it will be subject to the 20% restocking fee. To add, they have refunded me the full price minus the 20% restocking amount.

I am also talking to trading standards at the moment, but would be interested to see all your views.
So my question is, are they allowed to charge me that amount ? Even though it was ordered online and sent back within 7 days?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Sion

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome,

If you are cancelling under the DSRs it is an unfair term and goes against the spirit of the regulations i.e. Giving consumers the chance to examine goods as they can in the shop. They can impose it after the seven days as the thirty day cooling off period is in addition to your statutory rights.

Tony

sion3000

Nov 23, 2009
Hi,

Yup i have advised them by recorded delivery that i wish to cancel my contract. As advised by the trading standards guy. From what i can tell, the shop who sold me the product, keep refering to it as "a special item customised to the buysers request". By that it looks as though they are refering it to a custom built / specification. Although it was a an item that would have been made for thousands of people with exactly the same specification. Its this i need to find out where the line is drawn.

I have a feeling from looking at reviews they have charged other people this restocking fee. We will see what trading standards say in the morning.

Thanks

Sion