5mth old washer broken - what are my rights please?

kezmillar

Nov 26, 2009
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and in desperate need of some advice please.

I purchased an Indesit PWC8128w washing machine 14/06/09 from Comet. Paid £299.99 for it - lovely little machine, or at least it was until this morning.

Mid cycle all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the front of the machine and it started emitting a distinct burning smell (smelt like a mixture of burning plastic and burnt matches). I immediately switched it off and disconnected it from the mains.

I've contacted Comet and so far have spoken to 8 different people. I just seem to be being given the runaround.

they have advised that the earliest they can send an engineer out to look at it is 7th December 2009!! I have 5 children and cannot be without a washing machine for that length of time.

Could someone please advise what my rights are? IE am I within my rights to request a replacement machine due to it only being 5 months old?

thanks for any advice

homara

Sep 4, 2009
Hi Kesmillar....my fairly new washing machine did exactly the same a few years ago. Comet reacted in the same way too ie. unhelpful, giving me some ridiculously long wait for someone to come and inspect. The machine was still smoking and smelling of burning rubber and so I rang the fire brigade (sounds so quaint and old-fashioned now)! They immediately came and examined it. Found that an electronic problem inside machine had caused obvious burning. Were unwilling to leave it inside my house, as considered a safety risk, and so removed it into the garden. I phoned Comet back with much more amunition this time...result? Someone was sent out to inspect the following day, apology given and new machine authorised! This was my experience but hope it helps you in some way. If not, I hope someone else can help. It must be dreadful having five children and no washing machine. Best of luck.

kezmillar

Nov 26, 2009
Hi homara,

I think I was incredibly lucky that I was in fact in the house and picked up the smell quite quickly - I really do dread to think what would have/could have happened if I hadn't been here - especially as I normally set the machine to either wash overnight or whilst I'm off on the school run :eek:

I posted on here to see if there was anyone who knew whether I would be within my rights to ask for a replacement or whether I have to go down the repair route as to be honest I don't think I'd trust it again

Thank you for replying - hopefully I will soon have it resolved

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Kezmiller,

Welcome to the forum. You need to give them the opportunity to repair it before you can demand a refund or a replacement I am afraid.

This should not cause significant inconvenience. If you can make the case for it you can request a loan machine while they are repairing yours. I think this should be reasonably easy with 5 kids - without a loan I guess would would need to go to the launderette every night. If you do have to do this you can also claim the cost back from them.

HTH

Tony

oldskoolstu

Jul 2, 2010
Hi, Im having a similar problem with an 18 month old fridge freezer and where I can understand that you give them opportunity to repair it before you can demand a refund I feel that it is a little different in regards to a fridge freezer in these temperatures. We are now on our 2nd week without a fridge freezer and the company we are in dispute with are not willing to help at all and even refuse to offer us a loan in the meantime. My family and I are very distraught with the whole sorry saga that is part of everyday lives !