brand new bluray disc will not play in one month old player

Cyberwraith

Nov 30, 2009
On October 15th 2009 I bought a Bluray player from a big national chainstore. It is a Phillips BDP 3000. I have been using it happily for the last few weeks. However on Mon 23rd Nov I bought the new Terminator Salvation in Bluray expecting to enjoy that. When placed into the player it would go to the disc's own menu and lock. I thought it was a disc fault and exchanged it for another, which does exactly the same. So I phoned Phillips who informed me that it was a problem created by the disc's makers and that a software download would be required when they fixed it. However a date could not be given. I visited another of the chain's store's locally the next day as I was passing and explained the problem to them, they told me to return it to the store where I bought it from for a refund / exchange / or as I wished an upgrade with me paying the difference. When I got home I phoned the number on the back of my receipt and once again explained the situation, and again I was told to return the player. I disconnected, re-boxed and returned to the store. I was told eventually that it was a disc problem and it says so when you put it in the player. It does indeed but you have to buy it, and then try to play it before you know what will happen. So now I have a Bluray player just over one month old and I cannot play a new release and am concerned as to just how many it will play in the future. Am I entitled to a refund, an exchange, an upgrade? Or do I have to sit here and take it? Does anyone have an answer? Thanks:confused:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Interesting question, I would say that you have a pretty good case under the Sale of Goods Act. Basically, you are claiming that the player is significantly not as described as it does not play all discs. That seems like a reasonable expectation to me and I would also be annoyed.

Tony