PC computer game - Modern Warfare 2

shalesey

Nov 30, 2009
This is a bit of a strange query.

I purchased a computer game for the PC on November the 10th. There was speculation before the game came out that the developer (infinity Ward) had merely ported the game over from the Xbox game they developed and not developed a purely PC version. There were also rumours that were confirmed by IW that the game was being released without dedicated servers and the anti cheat system was changing. However they released a statement advising that they had developed a new multiplayer system called IW net, it is going to be better than dedicated servers and the anti cheat vac will ensure there you are safe from cheaters ruining your multiplayer experience.

The long and short is that I bought the game because of the statement released by IW even though my peers advised me not to. When I played the game the latency i experienced was significantly worse than using dedicated servers, usually a 150-200ms ping rather than the 30-40ms I am used to on the previous game. The anti cheat is not catching the cheaters and they ruin the games, with no server admins to kick or ban them your only choice is to leave and join another game. But the hacking/cheating is so wide spread now as the anti cheat is not working that you cannot usually find a game without cheaters.

I brought these points to the attention of Game, the retailer I bought the game from. I advised I would return the game at my own cost for either a full refund or a voucher for the equivalent value as a replacement would be useless and only have the same issues.

They advised that I should have read the game specs on the box before I bought the game (not possible as I pre ordered online), plus my PC is well above the spec required and I can play the game in full settings.

This is also not a local issue as I am a trained Broadband engineer and no other games I have the same issue playing multiplayer.

I contacted IW support who could not resolve my latency issues. they advised that due to the way the game is coded for multiplayer (P2P system) that the latency is inherent with the system. I asked them for a refund and they referred me back to the retailer.

I believe due to my statutory rights and being mis led by the IW statement released that I should be entitled to a full refund on this game.

Thoughts?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes this came up on the Mirror blog, your contract is with the retailer not the software house. So you are basically asking for a refund under section 75 of the Sale of Goods Act as the game is not of satisfactory quality. Worth a go - who did you buy it from?

HTH

Tony

shalesey

Nov 30, 2009
I bought it from Game. What do you think the chances of success are and what action can I take if they refuse?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Game seem pretty good about this kind of thing from what I have heard about how they treat customers with faulty PS3s.

If you can't get a refund then the next step is a small claim (see below). This will cost you £35, but you can claim that back if you win.

Tony