Loft company walked out!

Bb9

Dec 1, 2009
NW10 London
Hello, I recently bought a property which I have been renovating for 6 months now. The final part is the loft conversion. I selected a company that would deal with the whole conversion as a project. The contract states that there is a penalty clause of £100 per day after the completion date given until the project is completed. My completion date was yesterday, but they are so far behind that it's actually 2 weeks more until completion. So yesterday the company said they refused to work on my property any longer, probably because they knew they were going to lose money. They won't put it in writing but they have not turned up to work there today. They don't answer my calls nor respond to voicemails, texts or emails. I have holes in the roof and only some of the floor is laid. HELP!

Bb9

Dec 1, 2009
NW10 London
We have paid them in stages as per the contract, its difficult as they did not finish each stage before starting the next stage and its also difficult for me to know how much is yet to go. I.E, The dormer is up, but there are no windows fitted in. We haven't paid the entire amount but we have paid over half the stages worth.

COWBOYTRAP

Feb 3, 2010
It seems on the surface of it you may be ideal for our new series of cowboy trap. Please read out advert below and get in touch.

ARE YOU THE VICTIM OF BAD BUILDERS? This is your chance to get the job finished properly – and call to account the builders, plumbers, electricians, roofers or joiners responsible for the problem. Please email an account of your experience, your location and contact details to builders @ mentorn.com or 0207 258 6724 and a member of the team will be in touch for a confidential discussion.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
This shows that we all need to be really careful and whenever you think to yourself "no, that'll be fine" it normally means it won't be. Careful analysis of expenditure at every stage and updates, etc put in writing is obviously necessary. I feel for you, I really do, and hope that you manage to get it sorted out.